Norris Lake Information

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been on the lake before, but it was back in '92 when I was in the service just getting back from Desert Storm, and don't really remember much about it. I went to Dale Hollow and Cumberland a couple times last year and planning on visiting Norris 06-24 thru 06-27. Mt brother is taking his boat too, so we will have 2 boats.

We are planning on camping and wondering if there are plenty of islands to pop up a tent, or if I need to go to the campground? I am going to just sleep on my boat, but my brother has an open-bow and will need to pop up a tent, and whoever goes with us on our boat, will need to do the same.
Are there any rope-swings, cliff jumping spots, or other things like that around the lake?
From the North on I-75 ( Ohio ) what is the quickest or best ramp to go to?
I looked at the map, but are there plenty of good marina's around the lake?

Thanks in advance for any help/information you can provide. I am very excited about going, and trying to plan my trip now. Any additional " MUST-DO's " would be very helpful too...
Rodger

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Lake Norris Information

Re: Lake Norris Information

Just wondering, but, what is the price of gas on the lake?

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Norris Lake Information

Nothing yet hugh...
This a great web-site, so not mad at all, but thought I could get some " in-site " from the local experts.
Only 33 views in 3 days ( & 0 response ) , so maybe I will stop looking at this section of the forum.
Thanks Anyway

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I am going to stay at the Big Ridge State Park ( camp-site ). It sounded pretty good when speaking to the people there. I was wishing I would have had a bunch of help on this, but no doubt, it will be fun...
I can't wait for some wakeboarding!

mike243

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey im sorry i missed your post till now,i live within 2 miles or so of bigridge park,its a great campground.you can camp on all of the islands there but a lot of folks get there real early to get the good spots,gas at the lake is running about .20 higher than the local stations,$2.40-$2.50 ,if you need any info pm or email me ,i have a pontoon & will be nite fishing either that friday nite or sat nite & launch from the ramp next to the park.when you head to the main lake from there the last big hollow on the left contains at least 1 rope swing,its about 3/4 the way on the left accross from a old boat launch,look for the slick trail leading up from the water :D ,mike243

mike243

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ttt & make that about 3 miles :p i got fat fingered on that post ;)

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL. Thanks for all the great information. I just got your PM. I am sure I will have plenty of questions for you, and thank you for your help!

mike243

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when you get off at the 122 mile marker you need to turn left & go about 12 miles or so to get to bigridge,if you make a right then a right at the first redlight there is a walmart if you need to stock up on ice or other items you dont want to drag that far.are you bringing wifes children ect..? theres a few things around to do ,mike243

Last edited:

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when you get off at the 122 mile marker you need to turn left & go about 12 miles or so to get to bigridge,if you make a right then a right at the first redlight there is a walmart if you need to stock up on ice or other items you dont want to drag that far.are you bringing wifes children ect..? theres a few things around to do ,mike243

Thanks. Great information...
In my boat it will be me, wifie, and 3 other people. In my brothers boat it will be 3 people in that one. No kids on this trip. Just adult fun. I plan on wake-boarding a ton, and teaching a couple others to get up on the board, and would love to find some good bridges/cliffs to jump off of & rope-swings...
Getting close & getting excited. We are leaving around 7 or 8 Thursday am.

mike243

Petty Officer 2nd Class

like i said theres 1-2 rope swings before you reach the main lake.i know theres some bridges up the powell branch that has some bridges folks jump off off,the only 1 i know of on this end is at sharps chapel ,its a tall sucker & dont know if anybody does that 1 more than 1 time or if they will run you off of it :eek: ,i will try to hunt you up thursday afternoon,summer bible school is going on & im headed to a performance by the grand babies friday evening.were exspecting some afternnon storms latter this week,if a really bad system was to hit i will let you know which way to head to get in my basment,saturday afternoon/ nite i will launch for some fishing,i have a birthday party at 3 or it would be a all day/nite deal but no need to get in trouble with the anchor & my sister ;)

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

like i said theres 1-2 rope swings before you reach the main lake.i know theres some bridges up the powell branch that has some bridges folks jump off off,the only 1 i know of on this end is at sharps chapel ,its a tall sucker & dont know if anybody does that 1 more than 1 time or if they will run you off of it :eek: ,i will try to hunt you up thursday afternoon,summer bible school is going on & im headed to a performance by the grand babies friday evening.were exspecting some afternnon storms latter this week,if a really bad system was to hit i will let you know which way to head to get in my basment,saturday afternoon/ nite i will launch for some fishing,i have a birthday party at 3 or it would be a all day/nite deal but no need to get in trouble with the anchor & my sister ;)

My fingers are crossed for good weather. The weather people up here, seem to miss the forcast everyday. I have cancelled several trips to the lake because they are warning thunderstorms, then NOTHING! Sunny as can be. I am listening to what they say now, and then just making my own decision...

mike243

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry to hear about your accident ,i pulled up to your boat & your brothers hollering rat attack & the looks i received :eek: ,i asked if you were showing off & they said no just wake boarding,i wanted to hear you were setting a new record triple flips or something to that affect :D ,hope you heal up & the camp ground was in good shape,mike243

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry to hear about your accident ,i pulled up to your boat & your brothers hollering rat attack & the looks i received :eek: ,i asked if you were showing off & they said no just wake boarding,i wanted to hear you were setting a new record triple flips or something to that affect :D ,hope you heal up & the camp ground was in good shape,mike243

I wish I was too... I was just jumping wakes and hit a wake before my wake and it threw my board off a bit, and was never able to adjust in the air. My front tip went in the water 1st, but still thought I could pull it out, but obviously I couldn't. Ripped my right shoulder right out of it's socket. It was a long hospital ride to Knoxville to get the thing set back into place. I am feeling a lot better already and have some very minimal movement. I don't think I will need surgery, so that's a good thing. I hope it feels good enough to atleast get back on my boat by the weekend.
I wish I could have met you, but hopefully next time.
We all absolutely loved the lake and all it has to offer. We are coming back down for the labor day weekend. It is officially my favorite lake!

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class

good to hear, i will be at norris for my first visit on august 16. really looking forward to it now

specialk

Cadet

Rat Attack,

Glad to hear your OK. Hope you get to enjoy some more time on the lake before coming back.

I see your in Monroe. Do you go to Ceasar Creek Lake often? If so, hopefully I see you out there sometime this summer. I'd love to hear all the information you have about your trip to Norris lake. Especially since I'm planning to go down next year.

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rat Attack,

Glad to hear your OK. Hope you get to enjoy some more time on the lake before coming back.

I see your in Monroe. Do you go to Ceasar Creek Lake often? If so, hopefully I see you out there sometime this summer. I'd love to hear all the information you have about your trip to Norris lake. Especially since I'm planning to go down next year.

I am Caesars Creek a bunch. We may be going out there this weekend, but not 100% sure if I am going there or to Rocky Fork Lake. I would love to answer any questions I may be able to help with...
Norris is easily my favorite lake now! The water is amazing!

specialk

Cadet

I'll probably be out at Ceasars Friday afternoon - evening. I typically put in at the Beach ramps now. It's the newest nicest. If you see a white / blue Glastron with low profile windshield give me a yell. If I recognize your boat I'll hollar "Rat Attack" and watch people's faces wondering why I'm yelling that. :)

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll probably be out at Ceasars Friday afternoon - evening. I typically put in at the Beach ramps now. It's the newest nicest. If you see a white / blue Glastron with low profile windshield give me a yell. If I recognize your boat I'll hollar "Rat Attack" and watch people's faces wondering why I'm yelling that. :)

Ha,Ha,Ha!
Sounds Good Buddy! I am sure I will see ya @ one point this year!