noob question about winterizing in the south

Sgt_P

Cadet
I live in South Carolina (just outside of Charlotte, NC), and we trailer our 18' I/O. It stays parked under a carport when not in use.

My question is, instead of winterizing (draining the engine), could I just run a drop cord shop light (40w bulb) to the engine compartment for the rare nights it gets down to hard freeze temps (which is extremely rare in my neck of the woods)???

Again, I'm a noob, so I'm looking to be yelled at if this is stupid or dangerous (but I want to know why too...)

pckeen

Commander
Re: noob question about winterizing in the south

Hi, there are those that do this, and you may well be fine, but personally I wouldn't - what if the bulb burns out....you forget to turn it on....you go away for a few days and there is a cold snap...

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just drain the motor that way your not always worrying about it. And it only takes a few minutes. Personally I think it's easier to drain the motor and it won't cost you on your hydro

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I live on the SE NC coast. You get a little colder there than we do but some people here do what you suggest as they will hit the water at times year round.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

heck... on many engines you can drain em in the same time as it takes to run the cord out for the light..... as stated above... power outage, forgot, bulb burns out, cord knocked out of outlet all lead to needing a new engine.... not worth the risk IMHO

z28

Cadet

Drain it & you want be sorry.

Bondo

Staff member

heck... on many engines you can drain em in the same time as it takes to run the cord out for the light..... as stated above... power outage, forgot, bulb burns out, cord knocked out of outlet all lead to needing a new engine.... not worth the risk IMHO

Ayuh,.... Air don't freeze, but the power Does go out in bad weather,...

ziggy

Admiral

i'm with the drain it crowd.
i don't like the light bulb idea since i feel it could become an ignition source for fuel vapors that could be lingering in the bilge..

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look at it this way, if you dont drain the block it will always be in the back of your mind that something could go wrong....and if you are like me it will drive ya bonkers. Do it right and no worries!

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Just drain it and you won't be worrying. That is what I would do.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

X2. I drain mine on lake murray just south of you. Only takes an extra 5 minutes and I keep using the boat all winter.

Drain the engine!!!! I live down I85 at the Peach, I did the light bulb thing back in the 70s, big mistake we had an ice storm and the power went out. My boat engine block cracked, lesson learned. So now when I take the boat out of the water I remove the boat drain plug and engine drain plugs at the ramp. I put the engine drain plugs back in and run the engine on muffs before going to a lake just to be sure everything is in good order.

TheAviator

Cadet

Drain the engine!!!! I live down I85 at the Peach, I did the light bulb thing back in the 70s, big mistake we had an ice storm and the power went out. My boat engine block cracked, lesson learned. So now when I take the boat out of the water I remove the boat drain plug and engine drain plugs at the ramp. I put the engine drain plugs back in and run the engine on muffs before going to a lake just to be sure everything is in good order.

Here's a random question for you experts, why are these engines not designed in such a way as to allow for winter and freezing temps? Is it because they do not have radiators with anti-freeze which would be an added expense and weight? What do the people do that have to boat in freezing cold like the lobster boat peeps? Just curious.

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I keep my boat (sorta) this way all winter. I live in North Texas (DFW area) and we get quite a few freezing nights here. Mine is in an enclosed, unheated shed. I've bought a couple of brooder lamps (9 bucks at TSC or Wallie's) and leave them in the engine compartment. They're not really hot enough to ignite anything, and a backup ensures no problems if a bulb burns out. I have a remote thermometer (also 9 bucks at Wallieworld) that allows me to keep an eye on the temps in the engine compartment. So far, it stays above 40, even when temps drop to the teens outside.

I also have a length of pipe heat tape that I wrap around the sterndrive. This is temperature activated, so it only warms when it gets close to freezing.

It takes me about 5 minutes to open the compartment and attach the heat lamps. Another couple of minutes to wrap the heat tape around the stern drive and I'm good to go.

If I'm leaving town for any length of time, I go ahead and drain it to guard against power outages while I'm gone.

646987_front500.jpg

291377_front500.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Here's a random question for you experts, why are these engines not designed in such a way as to allow for winter and freezing temps? Is it because they do not have radiators with anti-freeze which would be an added expense and weight? What do the people do that have to boat in freezing cold like the lobster boat peeps? Just curious.

inboard and I/O boat engines are car engines adapted to marine use.... they were never engineered for marine use. As such they do not gravity drain water ... ALSO much of the water filled areas of the engine are often below the water level outside the boat adding more trouble draining.... yes antifreeze and heat exchangers (not radiators) are added expense and weight but are found in many boats.... Still though water from outside is required to cool the antifreeze. Since the engine blocks are cast iron they are also prone to rust and a simplified water drain system where all water were to drain via a thru hull opening would not show if one of the drain holes were plugged with rust.

as for the radiator... go sit on your boat and think about where on it you want a 2' x 3' by 18" box that MUST have cool air supplied to one side and exhausts lots of nearly 200 degree air from the other side and since it is a boat neither the intake or exhaust can be under the hull like a car.

News to Me

Cadet

Sgt_P
We live South of you around Augusta, GA. I just finished winterizing mine today. There is a guy on u tube from the long island boaters club that has a good video on adding anti freeze to the motor buy pouring directly in the water pipes off of the t stat housing. He drained all the water out of the block first. My 350 Mag, Bravo 3 out drive is 5 years old so I went the extra steps to rebuild the sea pump ( do it yearly) which on mine it is mounted to the side of the engine. I also changed the t-stat and after seeing all the rust in the block and the housing I went the extra step with the anti freeze for corrosion protection. I know that air won't freeze, put it sure aids in corrosion. My boat only has 90 hrs and the first 50 was around the Hilton Head area. I know that the salt did accelerate the rust I saw, but the extra steps along with a yearly sea pump rebuild are cheap insurance if you plan to keep her for a while. I did put a 90 watt flood bulb in a old style work light in the bilge area just because I could. Make sure it doesn't touch anything while you use it. I know that is a little over board and I only turn it on during the coldest nights, but for me peace of mind is worth it.