Non boating Hobbies

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Hello All,
I just thought it would be interesting to see what everyone does when not working or boating.
For myself here are a few of my woodworking projects.
I have other interest too but I wanted to share.
TV Stand I built.
IMG00041.jpg

Current project Router Table and Cabinet.
IMG00088.jpg

Top half of Headboard for a new bed, Built from scratch.
IMG00082.jpg

Vacuum Press for laminating.
IMG00078.jpg

share your Projects.
Thanks
Bob

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: Non boating Hobbies

Nice work! I really wish I had the time to get that good with woodworking. I have a 19' Thunderbird cathedral hull out in the front yard, that would have some "trick" work in the cuddy, if I did!

For the last couple of weeks, mine has been fixing computers. Just finished installing a new motherboard and power supply in one that got zapped by lightning. Today's project was to reinstall Windows XP in another that suffered some sort of weird hard drive "meltdown." Got lucky on that one - I realized this morning that I actually had made recovery disks after I bought it, about four years ago.

At the moment, I am making posts on this one and ripping music CDs and videos onto the other one, because I am going to turn it into a multimedia machine for my living room. For those that want to yell at me for doing this, however, I have legal copies of everything that I am putting on it. I just don't want to have to pull the disks off of the shelf where I store them!

???

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Currently building my "Pub" in the basement.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

O gauge model trains. And also messing about with computers.

Downtown.jpg

Neighborhood2.jpg

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

motorcycles
atvs
and r/c car racing

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, nice work! I like woodworking, but I don't do it often enough to call it a hobby. I built a Mission-style mantel for our fireplace a while back that turned out pretty well.

I've been building websites in my spare time for extra money, so I guess that's sort of a hobby I'm getting paid for.

I like to bang out songs on my acoustic guitar. I'm not very good, but it's fun. I used to get together with a couple buddies and jam-- I'd try to sing and keep a decent rythym and they'd play lead. That was a blast. Right now I'm working on my Christmas tunes-- Elvis' Blue Christmas, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town (kinda sorta Springsteen style).

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Nice job on the woodworking. I've always wanted to do that but never had the tools or patience.

I haven't done much of this lately, but when I had more time on my hands, I did some stained glass work, making lamps, a few small windows and some other stuff. More recently, I did quite a bit of selling on ebay, but haven't done that in almost a year. It was nice to have the extra cash flow.

Ez, I've always thought I'd like to get into trains too....someday. Maybe when I retire :). When I was a kid my brother and I were pretty into the HO car racing. And playing pool.

Man, I've got a big to-do list for when I retire!

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Well... I hate to pay anyone for doing something I could do better. So I fix my own boat and engines, I build cabinetry when I can. I do my own home remodels though I will hire a roofer :)
I'm a huge spearfisherman and a frustrated pole fisherman.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0594_edited.jpg
    IMG_0594_edited.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Motorcycling, Jeeping, shooting, camping, and reloading, here.

Attachments

• IMG_2816.jpg
    IMG_2816.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2333.jpg
    IMG_2333.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • reloading 004.jpg
    reloading 004.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 0
  • jo jeep s.JPG
    jo jeep s.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • camping 024.jpg
    camping 024.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

When I can't go boating I like to ride...

Here's my bike:

ride-17.jpg

My wife rides too:

ride-18.jpg

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have got to get a life I am either working on houses and sometimes my own or working on my boat,use to do woodworking but figured I was a better finisher than builder of wood products

BobsGlasstream

Commander

looking good folks,
I hope more will share they other hobbies.

ezmobee, I really love your model trains along with all the others.
Bob

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome router table, Bob!

And that is one gorgeous kitchen, Richard. You built that from scratch?! :eek: That is amazing! Simple looking and elegant. Even the colors are perfect. Inspiring work. I may even steal your cabinet style for my next house. Is your fridge trimmed to match (I don't recognize anything in the photo resembling a fridge)?

I just started a woodworking thread in non-boating technical the other day: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=365286

I have my redneck router table in my boat restore thread (I think..). I didn't want to spend the $300 for a router lift, so I made my own with $30 in parts. Works better than I expected. I'll be making a new table soon, as the el-cheapo kitchen table I transformed has a slight dip in the center, so long boards get messed up on the ends.

IMG_0011-3.JPG

Transom%20and%20router%20table%20014.JPG

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Work six days a week. Try to boat one. Don't have time to do anything else.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I have a fiesty 10 month old german shepherd puppy that takes up most of my free time lately.

But acoustic guitar and dirt bikes are others that I have been into and would like to get back into.

452804360.jpg

452804616.jpg

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow I didn't know any other hobbies existed!!! Thank you so much for adding some ideas for diversity in my life.:D

Brent S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used to be a Baker and did woodworking as a hobby. Got into boating by building two Sea Kayaks, and an 18ft CC.

Now I'm a carpenter so I don't do much extra curricular woodwork but I make a great cheesecake at home for family and friends.

I also spend too much time dreaming about the German Sheperd I don't have.:(

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Lowkee,

Yes I built that kitchen from scratch. It's completely custom, the cabinets are Teak ply with a clear catalyzed varnish finish. The bar section is birch stained really deeply brown. The fridge is on the far left and has teak panels covering the front.

I did the black walnut wood floor too..... Man that was a job.

Attachments

• IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2534.jpg
    IMG_2534.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 0

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

I wish I could do fine woodworking. It just doesn't work out for me.

I am very involved in HO model railroading. Since we are trying to sell our city house, everything is boxed up and in a storage locker. However, I got the Bosslady's permission to build an oversized double car garage at the lake house and use one side for a car/shop and the rear 12 feet and other bay for my trains. My son and grandboy want to visit us at the lake and help Papa's layout. Sweet!

Splat

Lieutenant

I do a bit of everything. I like to competively shoot, I've done many IDPAA matches, and live for a good bowling pin match or playing poker at several hundred yards with a rifle.

I also camp, fish and boat. I have a camper right on the river and spend much of my summer weekends down there. There are several lake and dms close by built by the Army Corps that I use the boat on.

Also a avid RC flyer. My passion is helicopters. I actually started the hobby backwords years ago. I learned RC on helis, and within the last few years started to get into planks(planes). I own several of each. My pride and joy is my scale Yak54 with onboard smoke. She's a crowd pleaser, and looks like the real thing on a low speed, low altitude, high alpha pass, bellowing out smoke.

Also into music. A drummer at heart, but a true percussionist in technique. I mostly jam byself now, or when the opportunity arises with anyone I can find. I marched band in highscool, held center snare position there all 4 years. My 21 member drumline was ranked 4th in the state back then. I also did solo ensembles on everything from snare, to tenors, to keyboards, even did some real entry(and I mean REAL entry level) 4 mallet keyboard stuff, with moderate success, except on snare. I always ranked in the top 20 in the state, 3 times top 10, one of those included a 3 spot, but that was a few years ago. After school I went on to march DCI(drum corps intl.) until I aged out. I'm busy making a career now, and music isn't really a part of it, but I do enjoy teaching in the summer months. One guy I used to drum with teaches some mid level drum lines now and I enjoy to help him out when time permits.

I think that's about it. I don't have time for much more.

Bill