FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I have a 1971 120hp sterndrive that when I let off the throttle make a ratchiting noise. I haven't replaced the gimbal bearing but am planing on replacing it this spring. What could cause this noise? Thanks
Yep,
I remember our first boat, early 70 vintage with a 120HP Merc I/O as well. Every once and a while it would dye if you pulled the throttle back quickly after a skier fell etc.. I had no idea what a "clutchdog" was back then yet it definitely made the "ratchet noise" while the boat coasted to a stop.
Not saying that is definitively the OP's issue, but very likely etc..
I don't know when the gimble bearing or U-joint had been looked at last I just bought the boat last June. But have no fear it won't go back in the water untill I inspect them this spring. I was just hopeing that I didn't have something in the lower unit going out. But from what I'm reading on the forum with everyones help is that it probably is the clutch dog.
The gimbal bearing or ujoints are not going to make a ratcheting noise. Next time you run it, when you pull the throttle back, go to neutral at the same time and see if it still does it. Of, when it starts to ratchet, go to neutral and see if it stops ratcheting.