noise coming from gimbal/coupler area after taking on water

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
after running down some overheat issues and resolving that problem, ( see post : https://forums.iboats.com/threads/s...-on-this-one-no-water-exits-manifolds.757931/ ) i have found that there is a noise on the back end of the boat/coupler area. i have already pulled the drive, replaced the gimbal bearing and dried out the bellows due to the previouse issue.. the noise is mostly at idle and goes away as the rpms go up. its kind of like a clanking sound, not like u joints. https://photos.app.goo.gl/c2vyagjJ2CaAqdfW9

is it possible the coupler could have been compromised with all the water this boat took on? the water level was up to the middle of the circulator pump pulley.
this is a bravo 3 drive

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Other thread, TL;DR... Did you replace the unis after the flood?
Pull the drive, fire up the engine (with water being supplied to the pump of course) see if the noise is still there.

Chris.

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
nop i did not change the u joints, only the gimbal bearing, i plan on pulling the boat this week and pulling the drive. and im sure the joints are non greasable too.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
nop i did not change the u joints, only the gimbal bearing, i plan on pulling the boat this week and pulling the drive. and im sure the joints are non greasable too.
I would replace the u joints and look at drive for evidence of water intrusion

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Even if they were 'greasable', they're dead. Water in the bellows ALWAYS means a new gimbal bearing, new unis, and usually a speedie-sleeve on the seal surface of the yoke.

Chris....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It would be interesting to see if the noise is gone without the drive on. Years ago (2004) my boat had water in the bellows at the end of the season & my mechanic pulled the drive & felt he could save the u joints (by thorough greasing) but changed the gimble bearing. Well all those years later I’m still running those ujoints with no noises whatsoever.
That noise really didn’t sound like ujoints to me….

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ok guys
Question
Having driven off road on beaches for years and done
more than a few water crossings (rain water not salt) in 3 different Jeeps all with non greasable ujoints & never having to replace one, what does that say? The oldest of these is 24 years old with 180,000 miles on it. As anyone who does off roading knows their ujoints will be run in water sooner or later. Maybe the fact that automotive joints can dry out fast while I/O ones are not as exposed to air…
Anyway still running my originals that had water in the bellows like 18 years ago!

Bondo

Staff member
Water & sand & salt air.
Ayuh,..... But yer's weren't sittin' in a pool of water, after you crossed the wet spot,... they could dry out,.....
Inside the bellows, they sit, 'n soak, til ya pull the drive,....

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
after running down some overheat issues and resolving that problem, ( see post : https://forums.iboats.com/threads/s...-on-this-one-no-water-exits-manifolds.757931/ ) i have found that there is a noise on the back end of the boat/coupler area. i have already pulled the drive, replaced the gimbal bearing and dried out the bellows due to the previouse issue.. the noise is mostly at idle and goes away as the rpms go up. its kind of like a clanking sound, not like u joints. https://photos.app.goo.gl/c2vyagjJ2CaAqdfW9

is it possible the coupler could have been compromised with all the water this boat took on? the water level was up to the middle of the circulator pump pulley.
this is a bravo 3 drive
That's a lot of H2O. Did you check alignment after pulling drive? I am not familiar with B3, but it is best to check shaft alignment anytime drive is pulled. Did you check drive lube for contamination? Regreased u joints????

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
the sad part was the bellows job was done less than 12 hrs of use. problem with blckage caused a hose to blow off and the boat was run for about 2 hrs with water being pumped into the engine bay. the alignment is spot on, checked when the new gimbal bearing was installed. it almost felt like the shaft is sucked int the coupler, thats how smooth it goes in. im pretty certain the joints are not greasable but ill find out soon enough.

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
wuick update, changed out the u joints and nice and quiet now.
thanks for the input guys,