no water getting to Impeller from intake on lower unit

stevp

Cadet
i have a OMC Cobra 5.8 when i put the water muffs on with semi forced water it does not get to the impeller, i replaced the impeller and still no water, i checked thermostat, could there be a blockage? and where would i start to determine that,i have the seloc online manual but theres no troubleshooting guide for this problem, thought about dropping lower unit and starting there.any help would would be greatful

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: no water getting to Impeller from intake on lower unit

how do you know that water is not getting to the impeller?

stevp

Cadet

i pulled the impeller housing off hooked up the water and cranked it over for less than a minute, there is water coming out of the pee hole in lower unit,

a70eliminator

Captain

Only thing I could think of is the water-tube out of position, had the upper and lower drives been seperated recently? Or, the waterpump liner could have slipped position blocking off the inlets, I've only heard it could happen.

stevp

Cadet

thank you for the replys i'm trying to take the lower unit off to see if there is any blockage, i understand from what i'm reading i don't have to drop the upper unit, but it will only drop about 2 inches and stop i think the shift linkage is stopping me is there something that has to be done to release the linkage??

a70eliminator

Captain

It's the shift rod that hangs up on the housing, you have to turn the drive almost sideways for it to clear the exhaust housing.

stevp

Cadet

thanks, i am removing the entire stern drive, for reasons that this boat has not seen water since 1995, it was garaged in florida and well taken care of, as i was taken the lower unit off there is a nest of hornets and mud within the lower unit, i removed the 6 bolts on upper drive, pivot bar, put drive in forward and used a rubber mallot to try and break the seal to the upper housing, i drained all gear oil, still cannot get the seperation afraid to much banging will crack housing, any thoughts,