No water coming out of tell tale/water pump indicator hole....???!!!???

bighermHK45

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just air and no water is coming out of the tell tale hole on the 1999 Merc 115HP. Since I just acquired the motor and finally got it mounted and wired up to run on my pontoon, this was my first start up. It was a little cold blooded but after I fired it up it ran strong. I jumped down out of the pontoon to take a look at things and noticed no water was coming out of the indicator hole just a large push of air. There was water coming out of the prop exhaust though.

So, now what can I check? The dealer I bought the motor from (5 hours away from me) said the impeller was replaced.

Thoughts?

bighermHK45

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, it turns out the hole was plugged. My neighbor who was helping me swore air was coming out of the hole. Well, tonight when I took the hose off the elbow that was connected to the head and forced air though it... no air came out the other end. So, a piece of wire cleared the clog and I gravity fed water through the elbow and the water ran through down to the prop hub. I ran the motor and success! I have one other question, but I will start another thread to address that.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Not a problem in my opinion.
Exhaust/cooling water accumulates in the area below that rod, and will spill out anywhere it can.

Just make sure there is water coming out the telltale indicator.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yellow Jackets love to stuff mud and such into every darn little hole they find!

I agree, no need to start another thread, just ask away and if we can help we will help. Right here, Right Now!

Go for it!