no vlotage at coil

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: no vlotage at coil

dead man switch
ok soooo what is this exactly :) <br /><br />I will get the setup you stated for the weekend and order the proper wires next week...

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just did some research and my Accel 8140 coil dosent have an internal resistor :( DOOHH

elpaso

Petty Officer 1st Class

A dead man switch - is a bypass switch on<br />your console - it will have a lanyard cord<br />(rope) to attach to your wrist - you fall<br />die whatever - boat ignition will be shut off.<br />When cord is pulled out as you hit the deck or <br />go overboard. <br /><br />Not all boats are so equiped - but this switch<br />can be a major dead ignition problem.<br /><br />If you do not have a wiring diagram - tell us so-<br />someone will send you one.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

kid,<br /><br />If you still want to go out for the weekend, then go to your local auto shop and buy a 'ballast resistor', then wire it up exactly the way I wrote earlier, just with the resistor in the line from the choke positive to the coil. You don't have to worry about any deadman switches or kill switches. The system will run exactly as the designer intended it. You turn the key to 'start' and it'll start and run. Turn the key to 'off' and the power is removed from the choke positive and thus the coil, and it'll all stop. You can use the existing coil too, just leave all the other wires in place.<br /><br />Chris..........

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so I got some 10 guage wire... and a 1.20ohm coil resistor... I was looking for a .85ohm resistor buy NAPA didnt have any :( <br /><br />will the 1.20ohm one be to much resistance to keep me from starting her up?

achris

Try it and see.....

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so I have no juice going to my choke? have i mentioned i dislike wiring :) <br /><br />ok so where to go from here?

Bondo

Staff member

ok so I have no juice going to my choke? have i mentioned i dislike wiring
Sounds like the Whole Ing.System is Dead.......<br />
ok so where to go from here?
With the Wiring Diagram,+ a Test Light,<br />Start at the Battery,+ Go from there............... :D

achris

Bondo,<br /><br />Do you think it's possible that the 40 amp breaker has tripped and when he put the jumper from the battery to the coil it powered everything up?<br /><br />Chris.........

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

chris<br /><br />how can I test the breaker?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If I'm not mistaken, you shouldn't have power to the choke unless the engine is actually running. Did you check it with the engine running or simply with the key on?

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did both... no juice with either suitation

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Just to make sure, I went out and checked mine -- sure enough, no juice at the choke with the key on, but I have a good 12 volts plus with the engine running. (That keeps the choke from getting warmed up and opening unless the engine is actually running).<br /><br />I don't know if this will help you or not, but we had a similar problem recently in my dad's boat - an 80's vintage 19' Sportcraft that came with a 3.0 Mercruiser originally. After finding a wiring diagram, I discovered an inline fuse up near the ignition switch. I mentioned it to him, (he has had the boat for 15 years or so), and he said, "There's not a fuse up there." Well, to make a long story short, (yeah, I know - too late! :p ), I found the fuse and sure enough, it was blown.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

think I need to take bondos advice and<br /><br />Start at the Battery,+ Go from there...............<br /><br />thanks to all who helped... I will follow up when I find the culprit...

Bondo

Staff member

A Test Light will tell you if there is Power beyond the Breaker........<br /><br />Chris,<br />It really doesn't matter Where the Problem is.........<br />By Hot Wiring the Coil,<br />The Hot Wire will Back-Feed the Entire Ignition Circuit...........<br />Or At Least back to the Problem Spot............