no vlotage at coil

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so i can only get my engine running when i have a jumper from th + side of the batt to the + side of my coil...<br /><br />when the key is in "run" postition, I am not getting any juice to the coil...<br /><br />I have replaced the ignition switch, where should I go from here? would love to get this sucker figured out so I can play on the long weekend :D <br /> <br />I have a Mercruiser 470 ;) <br /><br />thanks as always<br />captkid

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: no vlotage at coil

Shot 'resistance' wire. Merc sell a replacement. Part number is 84-94227A2.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

achris where is this resistance wire located partner... color?<br /><br />I am not an electrical guy by any means :)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You have two wires going to the + side of the coil. One wire comes from the starter, and the other wire is the resistance wire. It is bundled into the wiring harness. (I don't remember the colors right now - if no one chimes in, simply find out which wire goes to the starter - the other one is the resistance wire). If memory serves me correctly, this wire receives its power from the back of the alternator and is spliced in somewhere after also giving power to the automatic choke.<br /><br />If your wire is in fact shot, an easier and better fix to me would be to upgrade to electronic ignition. That way you can get rid of the resistor wire completely by buying an internally resisted coil.

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

I believe the 12VDC wire from the starter solenoid is tan colored and the resistance wire is purple colored. The resistance wire would have the reduced voltage when the key is in the run position. The wire on your key switch is white and it is spliced to the purple (resistance) wire closer to the coil.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and the white wire on the key should be on which terminal?

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

What are the markings on your key switch terminals? On my diagram it goes to the terminal marked "A"

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i'll check them when i get home... dont remember off the opt of my head

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

The main thing is the red or red/white wire should go to the terminal marked batt or battery. The yellow should go to the terminal "S" or starter. The white wire should go to terminal (ign) ignition or run.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

assuming you are talking about the wires on the ignition switch :) <br /><br />will check them when i get home

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

Yes those are the wires on the ignition switch.

achris

Forget the ignition switch, the resistance wire is in the wiring harness on the engine, and looks just like all the other wires. All the instruction (and parts required) for installing the new wire come in the kit. It's not a hard job and I think one of the suppliers over there sell it for about $17.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

achris, so I am not having any luck finding that part number (84-94227A2) online... do u remember where it was you saw it?

merc200

Seaman

If you are not sure as to which wire is the resistance wire, just cut into and strip the two wires going to the + side of your coil. The resistance wire will be the one that is a shiny silver color. The other wire will be a normal, bronze-colored, braided wire.

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

My resistance wire is a light brown or tannish color.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Take both wires off the coil and separate, put a meter on them 1 at a time and turn the key to start, 1 will have 12v while the key is in the start, the other wire will be the resistance wire.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so I am a procrastinator (sp) and shoulda looked for this part early in the week., but now it is the 23rd hour and i want to play this weekend... <br /><br />anyway I can "rig" something for the weekend to get me by? running a jumper from the + batt terminal to the + coil terminal for long periods will kill my coil or points i would assume? <br /><br />now I do have an Accel high performace coil that I THINK has built in resistance, can I use this coil and some kind of wiring rig to get me throu the weekend w/o harming my engine/electrical??<br /><br />any help would ROCK :) <br /><br />thanks<br />kid

achris

kid,<br /><br />If you have a coil that's designed to be fed with 12 volts, you can run a wire from the electric choke positive to the coil. That will enable you to run the system 'normally'. The wire you're looking for is on the side of the carb and it's purple in color. This wire is only fed when the key is in the 'on' or 'run' position.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Chris..........

elpaso

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just want to make it run for weekend ?<br /><br />Run wire from battery to + side of coil -<br />install $2.00 on-off switch and $5.00 bar<br />automotive type resistor in wire.<br /><br />You must have resistor - it will work even <br />if coil has internal resistor<br /><br />This will work - you will damage nothing -<br />untill you have time for problem.<br /><br />Coils with internal resistor - will be marked as<br />such. Brown wires are senser wires - all + side<br />coil wires are purple - including the one from<br />the starter solinoid. That gives you a 12 volt <br />boast at start key position only.<br /><br />If you have a dead man switch - check output <br />voltage - this can be a common problem ?<br /><br />Remember only battery inline switch - will kill engine - with this set up.<br /><br />STOP and THINK