no spark?

thRude

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
9
where can one order a Magnapower ignition box for a 1972 chrysler75?I replaced impeller ,lower unit assembly due to cooling troubles and now have no power going into coil from ignition box i am assuming ignition box must be shot.
 

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
8,200
Re: no spark?

I believe there are points in the distributor. Clean them up first. Don't try to get the rotor off the shaft, it's glued on permanently.<br /><br />I don't know of a replacement available for the Magnapower. Johnnyrude uses a similar system using a Pulse Pack that maybe could be adapted. You'd need the older points version and their coil. Use 1970 Evinrude 60 (Triumph) to find those parts.<br /><br />Right about that year, Merc, Johnnyrude, and Chrysler all had their own versions of amplified ignition systems. Those were early electronic ignition systems that boosted battery voltage and sent the power to a coil which shot spark to each cylinder via a distributor. Earliest versions used Maker points which send spark when the points close. Conventional ignition systems send the spark when the points open (breaker points). I believe the Johnnyrude system would be similar enough to adapt, though I've never tried it myself or heard of anyone trying. They're terribly expensive, $340 or so including the coil. I recently saw a complete kit on eBay for $215, search "Evinrude Pulse Pack". I happen to need one for my V-4 Evinrude, but mine isn't points.<br /><br />Wiring codes:<br />Purple gets 12v+ with the key On<br />Black goes to ground<br />Gray is a Tachometer signal, don't worry about that.<br />Blue goes to the coil.<br />Black with a White stripe goes to the points.<br /><br />I believe I recall two connections on your distributor? One would get a black jumper to ground and the other would get the black/white. Dunno which for which. (Or that's the later version with a sensor instead of points that I recall.)
 

thRude

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
9
Re: no spark?

i dont think its a distributer problem. There is no power coming out of the positive wire a the ignition box to the coil. There is power going into the ignition box but none going out
 
Top