No spark on bottom cyl.

Dreworr123

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
41
Hello, I have a 1963 35hp merc. I tested the plug wires with a test light and noticed the bottom wire had no spark. Where do I go from here? Check the points on the magnito? I have had the engine running a few times and have heard the lower cyl. kick in once or twice but at WOT the boat barely moves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
M

Maxz695

Guest
Re: No spark on bottom cyl.

test the switchbox by the manuel specs
 

Dreworr123

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
41
Re: No spark on bottom cyl.

I didnt think this system had a switchbox? Where should I be looking?
 

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
15,938
Re: No spark on bottom cyl.

Remove the flywheel and check/clean the points, test the condensers, and ohm the sparkplug wire/s, check plugwire connection into coil. Make sure you have the correct sparkplugs (J4J) and set gap at .020 on points...
 

Dreworr123

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
41
Re: No spark on bottom cyl.

Awesome! Thank you! Quick question while I have the flywheel off. Is there a way to connect a tach wire onto this system?
 

merc850

Commander
Joined
Jul 7, 2010
Messages
2,055
Re: No spark on bottom cyl.

That model doesn't have CDI igniton it uses a magneto so the only way to add a tach is to the alternator yellow lead if engine is an electric model. Should have a decal on lower cowling that says MercElectric.
 

Dreworr123

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
41
Re: No spark on bottom cyl.

No alternator on this model. Is it possible to add something to this magneto system?
 
Top