No Spark on 1978 140hp

JonRiley56

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

I just had to replace a key switch and evidently got something wrong....=o( I have a choke, and the starter turns, but i dont have any spark.

I have a red hot wire to the switch, I have a white wire that turns the starter that I am pretty sure is right. I have a wire going to my electric choke switch which has power when the switch is turned to "on". The last wire is where I think I am getting in trouble. What is the black and yellow wire ? I assumed it was the ignition wire and hooked it up with the wire to the choke switch so that it was live when the switch is on.

I assume I have scewed that up. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

jon

JonRiley56

Seaman Apprentice
Re: No Spark on 1978 140hp

Thanks !!! I have a general question that maybe you can answer for me. How does the kill circuit work ? Is there power to the yellow and black wire while the switch is off ?

jon

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: No Spark on 1978 140hp

The black and yellow wires in OMC circuits are kill wires to stop the engine instantly when grounded, by grounding the powerpack. If you apply voltage on the black and yellow wire, you will almost certainly destroy the powerpack.

See the diagrams at the bottom of the following thread for ignition wiring. The round diagrams show the wires that are affected by changes in position of the ignition key:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html