No spark, no service manual...

Mcfltfyter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm trying to help a friend that says he's not getting ignition spark on a 3.0 lx 0K029415. I can't remember where to find service manuals, but the schematic shows the purple wire at the coil, neutral switch, and alternator all tied together. The purple wire shows 1.1 volts, even when disconnected from the alternator. Should this be 12 volts with key on?

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
This is for the V6. Virtually the same on where what color wires go where. What you asked doesn't match enough of the system for a conversation starter.

Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 5.15.46 PM.png

Mcfltfyter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is for the V6. Virtually the same on where what color wires go where. What you asked doesn't match enough of the system for a conversation starter.

View attachment 367574
That is definitely not it. This isn't a very sharp picture, but the wire coming straight out of the coil is purple. That purple wire ties into the choke, alternator, cutout switch, and into the harness connector. I'm not certain what the terminal on the alternator is for. Is that switched power from the ignition switch, or is the power from the alternator?

I guess I should have just downloaded every mercruiser service manual I could find back when they were everywhere. Oopswiring-3l.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Purple is the ignition circuit. It's used as the excite for the alternator, the power to the choke. It goes up to the MOB switch and then the the back of the key

Wire color is standard

Bondo

Staff member
That is definitely not it. This isn't a very sharp picture, but the wire coming straight out of the coil is purple. That purple wire ties into the choke, alternator, cutout switch, and into the harness connector. I'm not certain what the terminal on the alternator is for. Is that switched power from the ignition switch, or is the power from the alternator?

I guess I should have just downloaded every mercruiser service manual I could find back when they were everywhere. OopsView attachment 367575
Ayuh,..... Yer purple wires are powered by the key switch, in the On position,...

Mcfltfyter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I kinda assumed this was the case. Should be a simple fix. We will likely be replacing the impeller that he claims is original from the late 90's. I guess the 3 years or 200 hours is pretty conservative...