no spark Mercruiser 120

KIckashin

Recruit
Hi I am new to boating so try to get a merc 120 running but dont seem to have spark coming to the distributor. I have check every thing I can think of new coil points rotor distributor cap. have 12 volts positive to key side. and if I open points have 12 volts to negative side. but no spark . I know the coils is good. I test the ohms on the coil wire it 14 inches 7mm autolite silcone suppression cable. it measured at 200K setting 4.1-4.0. this seems high to me but I cant find any specs. I also dont know have continuity at least the buzzer doesn't sound when I set on that. help I never had a cable that didn't have continuity before or is it because the ohms setting .

nola mike

Vice Admiral
That does sound high. What's your reading at the coil neg with the points closed? Did you try putting a spark plug tester directly on the coil?

KIckashin

Recruit
5.4 volts. Don't have a spark tester. Shouldn't I get a continuity tone on my meter?

Last edited:

nola mike

Vice Admiral
5.4 volts. Don't have a spark tester. Shouldn't I get a continuity tone on my meter?
Idk what the limit for continuity is on your meter. I wouldn't use it that way. Like I said, 200k sounds high. Swap in a good wire and plug if not a tester into your coil. It sounds like your points are closing and making a connection

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
did you service the points? if not, start there the coil fires when the points open (or break) and the magnetic field collapses.

you should be able to fire the coil by simply touching the coil - to ground and then removing.