No Spark and Key wont turn the engine over.

LA Wayz

Cadet
I did see that it was inside the control box so I did exactly what you said I should try but I didn't get any results. I was hoping to hear a clunk, clunk, but nothing. I even tried cutting one of the yellow wires going into the shifter but still no fire. I need to find out how the shifter comes out to check it better.
Most interlocks are on the engine.

LA Wayz

Cadet
Okay, does anyone know how to test the trigger on this engine?
I went ahead and removed the flywheel and found this... I like to have broke my hand when the thing broke free and popped of the engine right on my hand but all is well, just a little bruised. It looks like it may be bad but I will test it today. I watched a video on youtube where a guy said his 120 wasn't firing and it did after he changed it out so, we'll see. Yes, I used a puller, lol

Attachments

• 20220124_181420[1].jpg
    20220124_181420[1].jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220124_181351[1].jpg
    20220124_181351[1].jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 5

LA Wayz

Cadet
I got this 120 Mercury Force that is on a 1998 Bayliner Capri. It has the four Ignition coils but not the CDI Switch Box with all the wires hooked up to it like on the other threads I have been looking at and reading. It started up and ran when I got it 2 or 3 times. Got it home and it was having a problem starting but then it finally started and it ran fine. I went through the gears to make sure they was working (for/rev). I go back out the next day and it wouldn't do anything but turn over so I checked the fire from 2 spark wires but there was was none. I bought a new solenoid and key switch to fix the no cranking from key switch but it didn't fix that. I now have spares. I have been cranking from solenoid. I can't figure out what's wrong there either. I'm guessing a loose wire maybe. I turn the key on and all the lights will come on for the gauges and when I first got it we turned the key to the on position to get it to start (but we used the solenoid then as well) so I know that much. I tried running an extra wire from the ignition switch (S) (Yel/Blk) to the solenoid to see if it was a bad wire but same results, nothing. I will take some pics of the engine asap and post them here tomorrow. Compression reads good at 140,145,139 & 147. I recorded it running when I did get it to start that day and it sounded good to go.
I went ahead and ordered a new Stater, Trigger and Rectifier. If it doesn't start up after I change them out, it has got to have some bad wiring. Thanks for all who tried to help.

LA Wayz

Cadet
I went ahead and ordered a new Stater, Trigger and Rectifier. If it doesn't start up after I change them out, it has got to have some bad wiring. Thanks for all who tried to help.
It was the trigger. Thought there were people on here that could help, I was wrong to even think it. If you want something done, you got to do it yourself.