No Spark After a Short - '89 50hp

lytemup81

Cadet
Hello, have not had the '89 Force 50 out of storage in a few years :(. When hooking everything back up, I skipped the thinking step and shorted out the battery (had the two large diameter wires both on negative and then went to hook up the smaller gauge wires and it sparked at me...oops :oops:).

So now no spark (testing with an inline light and timing light- both cyls). I replaced the ignition switch, pulled the kill switch wires and checked switch continuity (open with button pressed in). The battery is charged and will turn the engine over all day. Two circuit breakers in the motor area are not tripped. Did not pull flywheel, but stator looks bright and clean, and the magnets look good from what I can see. All wires look clean and undamaged.

Ran the 'no spark on any cyl' checks from the CDI troubleshooting guide. Disconnected stop wire and rectifier - still no spark. Rectifier passed the diode check. Checked resistance for stator and trigger - both within rage for "CDI Ohms" (though right at limits).

How do I know if I have a CDI or OEM stator & trigger? I'm also lost as to what to do next. Do I need to get a DVA meter and check that? Will that diagnose if it is the CDI that is fried?

Thanks in advance!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures for your motor.
OEM or CDI ?? you'll need to pull the flywheel, CDI will have it's name on the part.

lytemup81

Cadet
Ok true, thanks...I don't have a puller (yet) so if I assume they are CDI given the readings...what should I look into next?

The Force power

Commander
Ok true, thanks...I don't have a puller (yet) so if I assume they are CDI given the readings...what should I look into next?

You'll need to know what you have first! even a good tested Stator can be bad, in the meantime
Verify the condition of All your ground-wires incl. ground-strap(s)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Don't assume anything when it comes to outboards :(
"but stator looks bright and clean, and the magnets look good from what I can see."
Again don't assume.
Like the Force Power said" even a stator that tests good can be bad"
You'll need to get a meter and the adaptor for DVA or Peak Reading Voltmeter adaptor, then maybe a puller.
A no spark on both cyl. can be the kill switch or the stator?
Look on U-tube for videos for removing the Force/Chrysler flywheel.
The magnet on your flywheel is a long strip 24"x 1 1/2"x 1/8"
It can come loose and you'll get no spark, easy to check. Remove the plugs, turn the flywheel and watch the magnet.

lytemup81

Cadet
I got a DVA and tried measuring voltage across the trigger and stator. I measured 0 volts... checked the gauge in an AC outlet and it works fine. Tried removing the blk/ylo kill wire at the harness... no change... even swapped batteries, also rechecked grounds... magnet does spin with the flywheel...
No voltage reading though... I'm missing something!!

lytemup81

Cadet
Like jerry said; have you disconnected the "kill" circuit wire to see if you get spark?
Yes, I also (earlier) pulled wires at the switch and checked switch continuity- open with button pressed in...did it again tonight after seeing 0V...open engaged, small resistance with the lanyard pulled...

The Force power

Commander
I got a DVA and tried measuring voltage across the trigger and stator. I measured 0 volts... checked the gauge in an AC outlet and it works fine. Tried removing the blk/ylo kill wire at the harness... no change... even swapped batteries, also rechecked grounds... magnet does spin with the flywheel...
No voltage reading though... I'm missing something!!
Just checking... you are checking this while cranking the engine correct?

lytemup81

Cadet
The boat is fixed, just closing this out. I called CDI, the tech there gave me an outstanding tip that is not in the manual. Since I had 0 volts in the DVA...and the resistances all checked out...disconnect the stator at the terminal. Check stator for specified DVA! Brilliant...immediately told me my stator was good. Which left the CDI...which I swapped out and now have spark back. Thanks for the replies!