no spark 1974 50 hp merc

viperman1

Cadet
i have 74 merc 50 hp with no spark i ripped the open the distributer and there was lots of rust on the magnets i cleaned it all up now and it still wont give me spark what else can i look at that can give me this problem the switch box was also tested and it was fine. the boat did sink last fall and its the first time i tryed starting it the motor turnes over fine.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: no spark 1974 50 hp merc

See if you can turn the rotor with one finger. If so, you need a new dist shaft/rotor assembly....<br />But try to find a used one on ebay, as a new one will set you back 300buks or more. I found one locally at a boneyard for 10buks, I remove..All kindsa cheaper.<br />I was tempted (before finding the 10dollar one), to JB-Weld the rotor back to the shaft.<br />Not saying this is what is wrong with yours, but it's a possablility.<br />Others are timing belt broke, stator, switchbox.rectifier,mercury tilt switch (disconnect to test), or short to ground in engine kill circuit.

viperman1

Cadet

the rotor is hard to turn the magnetes are still strong i had the switch box tested and it was good

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Undo brown wire at switchbox and merc tilt switch lead (on same terminal)and try it.