No question, just statement on my lower unit rebuild.

Shwinkyyy

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 8, 2017
Messages
70
So i am new to boats, And i have some mechanic experience. I have learned that it is not enough. I have a 1984 merc blackmax 150hp. I rebuilt the unit, got it pumping water, and installed my new prop. Well when i went to shift it into foreward amd reverse. I heard a harrible grinding as it shifted. So we pull the drain plug and i get horrible milky gear oil, and on top of that metal chunks, not shavings. So im assuming o juat blew the gearcase. What i am saying is make sure you know your stuff before rebuilding, or take it to someone who does spemt 2 weeks working on this lower unit and now its all for not :,(
 

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
15,938
That's why you need FACTORY manuals and special tools for shimming......
 

Shwinkyyy

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 8, 2017
Messages
70
Yeah your certainly right, im chalking it up to a lesson learned the hard way
 
Top