No power at coil: Volvo Penta 3.0

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all. I have a 2001 Volvo penta 3.0GSPA. Was stalling immediately after the key was released to the “run” position. Via some other thread we got it to run by jumping a wire from the batter + directly to the coil. But now can’t figure out the real fix. Tried replacing the ignition switch and also bypassed the kill switch, but neither of those solved it. Is the neutral safety switch in that same circuit? If so, where do we find it? Any other tests that should be run to find possible problems? Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Hey all. I have a 2001 Volvo penta 3.0GSPA. Was stalling immediately after the key was released to the “run” position. Via some other thread we got it to run by jumping a wire from the batter + directly to the coil. But now can’t figure out the real fix. Tried replacing the ignition switch and also bypassed the kill switch, but neither of those solved it. Is the neutral safety switch in that same circuit? If so, where do we find it? Any other tests that should be run to find possible problems? Thanks

Was unable to find a GSP"A" but was able to find the B version and I'm seeing EST ignition. Is yours carb or EFI?

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hm. That’s just what is stamped on the engine. Sort of new boat to me, but it does have a carb on it

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alldodge thanks for that wiring diagram. That’s extremely helpful. And yes that’s what the distributor cap looks like. Weird thing is that, even with the circuit opened at the kill switch (I physically cut the wires there) I still am getting continuity at the coil harness (on both the purple and grey wires) when testing from the purple wire at the ignition. It was hard for me to test from the pin on the engine connector (I’ll have to get a friend or go grab some alligator clips) but I figured testing the pin at the harness itself should be the same correct?

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wanted to updated that I think resolved the issue. I bypassed the kill switch (again) and now it seems to be working.

That was the first thing I had tried, and it didn’t work, but maybe I had compounding issues (like just a regular hard start)?

I still don’t know why I had continuity to the coil harness with the kill switch circuit open, or why it didn’t work the first time I bypassed it…but seems to be working now.

Thanks everyone