No oil in my gearcase.

8up

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have my 1985 140 hp Evinrude on the stand in my garage now just getting it ready for a paint job. I figured the smart move would be to replace the water pump impeller before I painted it. I bought the boat a year and a half ago and don't know the history of the impeller. Anyway The first step in my Clymer was to drain the gearcase. There was no oil there. Does the motor have to be in a certain position to drain the oil. If not, where could this oil have gone. There is no sign of a leak. I had it serviced about a year ago which was supposed to include and oil change. OH by the way, do any of you Guru's have some good impeller replacement directions or cautions, it's my first time. Sorry for the rambling post.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Scott

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: No oil in my gearcase.

Scott - Forget the water pump for now - A few questions first.<br /><br />1. Have you run this motor since the oil was "changed?"<br /><br />2. Did you take out both the fill and drain screws? Was the nylon washer or O ring on the screws? Some of the screws have a magnetic tip - was there any metal residue?<br /><br />3. Did any water come out?<br /><br />I can't imagine a gear case being completely empty unless it was not filled as part of the service. I also can't imagine a lower unit holding together if it were run very much if empty. If it had water in it you will need to find & replace the leaking seal as a minimum.<br /><br />Years ago we lived up the road from you in Dare. Fond memories.<br /><br />On the water pump - just follow the manual. The only "tridky" thing is disconnecting & reconnecting the shift rod. <br /><br />I think that is a bubbleback - Come back with a post when you go to change the thermostats. That can be a bit of a bear.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had it serviced about a year ago which was supposed to include and oil change.
Mind sound a simple question, but as you didn't change the oil yourself, did the mechanic drain and then forget to refill? Has the motor stood without gearoil since the 'oil change'?<br /><br />Seems the simplest answer to me.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

85 140 should be a looper V4. double check that you did in fact pull both fill and vent plugs. I have seen people actually pull the phillips screw for the driveshaft bearing retainer instead of the vent/fill plugs.<br /> if the motor is on a stand make sure the stand is a hefty one. you will have to set the motor up on the tilt locks.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ah, memories. I pulled that phillips screw, once! Everyone told me I was lucky I didn't move nothing....... cause it went back together, and worked.