No longer made in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just ordered a new prop for my outboard motor. Been a boater for over 60 years and always favored Michigan Wheel props, well made in the USA products for me!!
I was shocked/ dissapointed to find a sticker on my new Michigan Wheel prop that says made in "Korea"..... Havent tried it yet, and it looks good, but what a dissapointment.....is anything still made in the US ???

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your government in some ways has made it too difficult to stay in business in the USA.-----And factories have been moved offshore.------These cheap goods are of no use to anyone who does not have a job.-------And look at this fact.-----Somebody the other day said.------A college education will cost $1,000,000 yet you will be able to cover a wall in a house with a flat screen TV for less than $500

airshot

Rear Admiral
Oh....dont get me started on the direction this country is headed....due to the dumbing down of its citizens over the past couple decades, most people dont realize it !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It happens slowly.----One day people will realize.------The electric vehicle craze is somewhat similar.----People will say ---" really nice but I can not afford one.-------Take a trip to ---Mackinac Island----See how things can be for many people.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It’s the way of the world these days, by the looks.
I just yesterday had my mercury 4000 model remotes box and throttle lever in bits, looking for a shorting issue. Eventually got to the trim switch. Was shocked to read “made in china” when I got the thing out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FWIW, the korean and chinese knock offs are what has been sold to the general consumer for decades.

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
S. Korean stuff seems to be better quality than ChiCom. S. Korea normally has rights to US patented stuff. ChiCom, not so much.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, South Korea makes Hyundai autos, LG appliances and lots of other good quality stuff. They have a competitive economy for now.

The real issue is that some stuff is not made in America because it would cost too much, and would therefore sit on the shelves forever.

Jobs left when the USA closed sweatshops. Now we have kids slaving in foreign countries making our cheap goods.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You see them making all kinds of parts from whatever they can melt down.-----You have to wonder about analysis and quality control.-----See them repairing cast aluminum rims too.-----Maybe OK for traffic locally there ( usually slow ) but not for interstate speeds.-----Shop I worked at now gets drawings with note on it -----Says--" no material sourced from the HU FLUNG DUNG Co allowed "

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Now we have kids slaving in foreign countries making our cheap goods.
Or so you’ve been told by the powers that be….lol

In reality, the US dollar is hyper inflated compared to the rest of the room. Our poor people are middle class citizens by most norms.

In reality, my engineering friend in Thailand is quite happy and quite comfortable making the equivalent of $30,000 US per year.

I can get a Ruth Chris quality steak dinner with drinks in South Africa for $12 US.

Stayed in a water front, 5 Star hotel in Venezuela for $165 a night. Average monthly salary for the locals.

Great people… invited to their home for dinner. Really enjoyed the hospitality. Guess someone forgot to tell them how oppressed and poor they are

A ocean front room at the Holiday Inn in Caracas was $65 a night. What’s a waterfront room at a major beach resort in the US cost these days?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Ding, so you are saying that child labor overseas is a myth?

On a related subject, Arkansas is trying to allow more child labor, according to their newest legislation.

Go Sarah Huckabee Sanders.....show those foreign companies what USA child labor can do.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There used to be many undiscovered out of the way resorts.----Places you could afford.----But with the internet / facebook ETC there are no secrets anymore.----Demand ( cheap airfare ) has pushed up the prices.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
is anything still made in the US ???
Pretty much the only thing remaining are the Over Compensated Do-nothing Executives. If anything should have been sent Overseas, it would have been their Jobs

racerone

Supreme Mariner
We are ending up with more folks who vote for their living , then folks who work for a living.-----Or I see too many huge office towers and not enough farms and factories.-----Nothing is " made " in these office towers.

fatsurf

Recruit
I started working when I was 11. Maybe we more of that not less. Teach people to make money and pay their way at an early age.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Fatsurf So you are in favor of child labor? So we should send the next generation in their teens, into the coal mines, factories or the mills? That is a terrible idea, IMO. They need to grow up, get the appropriate amount of education and take their place in society. If the mines are their destiny....

Some should be blue collar, some should be laborers and some should be white collar.

IMO, adults have an obligation to make it in our society. They should figure the best way to maximize their skills to they can take care of their family. However, I do not expect children to have that same responsibility.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many kids started with cutting grass / selling lemonaide / delivering newspapers.------I know some kids that made patio stones as teenagers.----It was their business education.----Father said " they are not getting an allowance without a bit of sweat :------It served them well.-----Not all work is done in a coal mine !!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I delivered newspapers on my English 3 speed (still have it) for a few summers 1969-1970 and worked at a summer camp all through high school. We did learn how long it takes to make a buck! Today they can't fill the jobs that are here still. What's wrong with this picture?
While they are exporting useless executives, how about a few gov't bearucrats while they're at it. I can think of a couple that should visit Havana, Cuba so they can learn a few things about the economic system that they espouse.
how about every 12 year old who wants a phone, that mom & dad pay for, paying for part of their monthly service by doing yard work on their own property? Not slave labor, just common sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.