NO death toll

KaGee

Admiral
Re: NO death toll

J... I am not in any disagreement with your point. :cool: <br /><br />I guess I'm not communicating properly.

PW2

Commander

That's your opinion on why it was tossed around. And it smacks of a bit of paranoia.<br /><br />It could have been to prepare people for a possible worst case scenario, which, thankfully, hopefully, turned out to be an overly pessimistic estimate.<br /><br />Whose fault it is, if anyone's, is a separate issue.<br /><br />To hope that none of it falls at the feet of Bush--well, it seems to me that ship has sailed on that one since he took responsibility for any failings of the federal response in his speech last nite.<br /><br />What was more troubling to me was his implication that we may not be as prepared as we should be for future disasters--Which leads one to the question why is that, and what have we been doing the last 4 years with HSC?<br /><br />Now I don't know the answer to that, and clearly the President has the opportunity to explain what he meant, but the media has a duty, in a democracy, to hold his proverbial feet to the fire. And to do less would be malfeasance by the media, IMO<br /><br />He has the opportunity to defend his administration, and convince us that he is doing the best possible job.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /><br /><br />limitedtime's theory is pessimism.<br /><br />forgive me if I misinterpreted anybody's theory.
Actually jtexas I view myself more as a skeptic. But you were close. ;)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Kagee I disagree, that number was stated by the media to keep people glued to their TV sets.<br /><br />They should be ashamed for themselves.<br /><br />Ken

oddjob

Commander

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Kagee I disagree, that number was stated by the media to keep people glued to their TV sets.<br /><br />They should be ashamed for themselves.<br /><br />Ken
AND....while we (the media) have their attention......."Bush dont care about black people!" Why their killing each other down there..." HE be needin to get heh azz down heh RIGHT NOW DAMMIT!"<br /><br />."Its complete mahem!" Bush didn't fix the levie's cause he's bad I tell ya!"....Bla..Bla..Bla...for a week.........and still counting....<br /><br />Yeah maybe it is his fault for not vetoing (sp) the homeland security dept. and attaching FEMA to it.

PW2

Commander

So why don't we have an independent study on what went wrong and why?<br /><br />This will not be the last disaster this country faces, and we need to figure out how to get it right, and not necessarily to protect some politician, whatever party he belongs to.<br /><br />And the reason FTR, I don't favor a Congressional or Senate led inquiry is because the various committee chairmen are the individuals that identify and call witnesses, and it is all controlled by one party. It is easily concievable that we could only hear one side of the story, and in order to get to the truth, you have to get all sides of the story.<br /><br />The truth is what matters, and not who it implicates, if we want to improve our future response.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

pw2, I agree in principle, "the media has a duty, in a democracy, to hold his proverbial feet to the fire," more precisely, I think we the people have that duty, we seem to have delegated it to the press. I believe congress plays a role there as well. It's probably in the manual (I meant to say "Constitution"). ;) <br /><br />[ps kagee, i got ya, wasn't disagreeing just throwing out a possible explanation]

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

A few days ago they had ordered 25000 (twenty-five thousand!) bodybags to arrive to NO. The media must have loved reporting that too.

Realgun

Commander

I wonder if the sharks swimming in the flooded streets ate the other 9,000 people. And do they prefer white or dark meat?

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

They must prefer white meat as we haven't seen many of them runnin' around :D

PW2

Commander

That is of course why "Freedom of the Press" is enshrined in the constitution as a fundamental right, as it is an imperative to a functioning democracy.<br /><br />And I just ordered Craig Crawford's new book "Attack the Messenger" from Amazon--about this very topic--can't wait to read it

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the 10K figgue was an estimate that has been about for over ten years based on a worst case levee failure with a cat 5 surge. the esitmate was correct on about everything else including street by street floding. I hope they were way off on the casualty estimates.<br /> if ya wanna see some scary estimtes look at the estimates for Mt rainer when it blows or if the new madrid or san andreas faults give way with an 8.0+ on the ricter scale. or even the proposed mega tsunami the east coast will see if the cape verdes collapses.<br />we may have a few days to evac the tacoma area, may have a few minutes. wont have much warning on the faults, the east coast will have roughly 8 hours to evac from about new york to the FL keys. you just think it was gridlock on the freeways the past 4 times.however this disaster has been predicted for at least since 1989. street by street blow by blow.<br /> not many from any agency or political persuasion has done much but scoff at the figgures. now we get to pay again to rebuild what the studies we spent millions on predicted. what happens when half way through the rebuild another storm hits that area and does it again? I saw now is the time to correct some of the mistakes the french made several hundred years ago. save the dry parts and scrap the rest.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

why bother with levees, why not just build a floating city? technology exists.<br /><br />Before you scoff, check out the <br /> San Diego Floating Airport Iniative. It was proposed 2 years ago & could end up on the ballot next November.<br /><br />Also a proposal for a floating runway at SFO.<br /><br />And if you really wanted to save money, you could go with an idea like the <br /> Bangkok Floating Market.