NO death toll

oddjob

Commander
Is the death toll at 10,000 yet as predicted when the locals figured it was Bushes fault?<br /><br />How many confirmed rapes, murders and helecopter shootings?<br /><br />Not trying to be insensitive but there are a few reports out there asking the same questions..<br /><br />Anyone?

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: NO death toll

[sarcasm]<br /><br />OJ.....it's not going to be 10,000 even though it was Bush's fault.<br /><br />since the mayor and the governor did such a fine job of executing the magnificant plan, it will be much lower....even though Bush really hosed it!<br /><br />[/sarcasm]

PW2

Commander

The death toll in NO is officially at somewhere around 450 right now, and they are still collecting and processing bodies. It may be weeks or months until the real death toll is known. I sure hope everyone is correct and the number is far fewer than 10,000.<br /><br />What's your point?<br /><br />And I have no idea what the rape and murder toll is--as to my knowledge no one yet has been charged and the courts are still under water.<br /><br />And it is my understanding there has been one helicopter crash, with no fatalities, and it was a mechanical failure, and not shot down.<br /><br />Again, what's your point?

oddjob

Commander

My point is that there has been alot of flame reporting....that thousands were dying by the day....rescue was halted because of thugs shooting at them......I herd last week that there had been about 70 confirmed so far. <br /><br /><br />Instead of saying from the outset that we dont know...the media, local politicians, national politicains....said/ estimated up to 10,000.<br /><br />A better question would be what was THEIR point.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> A better question would be what was THEIR point.
An easy one Oddjob. The bigger the toll the worse GWB could be made out to be. But I think you already knew that! ;)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Two 65-year-old nursing home owners have been charged with 34 counts of negligent homicide. discussion <br /><br />As to the 10,000 figure being tossed around...<br /><br />[sarcasm]<br />a good leader knows how to manage expectations.<br />[/sarcasm]

vipzach

Lieutenant

The death toll this morning was in the upper 600's!! Rescue hasn't been halted, I watched a reporter yesterday going door to door with the military, looking for anybody alive or dead.

PW2

Commander

On a huge breaking news story, you really think the media is (or should)wait till every detail is absolutely known or confirmable before they file a story??<br /><br />If they did that they'd go out of business in a hurry.<br /><br />The mayor estimated the death toll could reach as high as 10,000--which is what the computer excercise they did prior said.<br /><br />Everyone to my knowledge reported what the mayor said, and that it was an estimate. <br />Maybe he was wrong, and it was far fewer. Good.<br /><br />What's the point?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Hearsay seems to be an issue also. I looked for confirmation on the lead post in this thd http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=010966#000000 but could find none. Could be people just looking for the worst in humanity and hopping the find it, just so they can say "I told you so". If that’s the case heaven or a good shrink help them.<br /><br /> BTW FYI the Mayor only repeated the estimates he was told. He did not come up with the 10,000 casualties figure. I saw the original airing of his statement on CNN

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The media only wishes there were 10,000 dead.<br /><br />"We got the bubble-headed bleach blonde<br />Comes on at five<br />She can tell ya 'bout the plane crash<br />With a gleam in her eye<br />It's int'resting when people die<br />Give us dirty laundry "<br /><br />Ken

oddjob

Commander

Whats the point?....<br /><br />I just said the same thing! get it?...yes you do PW.. ;)

KaGee

Admiral

I got flamed in the other "good news: post for my sarcatic remarks.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> <br />What's the point?
asked and answered:<br /><br />
Originally posted by oddjob<br /> <br />My point is that there has been alot of flame reporting.... Instead of saying from the outset that we dont know...the media, local politicians, national politicains....said/ estimated up to 10,000.<br />
oddjob's theory is media sensationalism.<br />boomyal's theory is political mud-slinging.<br />jtexas theory is managing expections...make us expect it's way worse so we'll be relieved when the actual numbers arrive.<br />pw2's theory is it was the best info available at the time.<br />limitedtime's theory is pessimism.<br /><br />forgive me if I misinterpreted anybody's theory.

KaGee

Admiral

From the NEW YORK TIMES<br /><br />September 13, 2005<br />Units Search for Bodies but Some Find None<br />By JOHN KIFNER<br />MICHOUD, La., Sept. 12 - Despite apocalyptic predictions, marines searching St. Bernard Parish - in the direct path of Hurricane Katrina - have yet to find any bodies, commanders said Monday.<br /><br />"St. Bernard is actually doing pretty good," said Capt. Stephen Kahn, operations officer for the battalion of marines brought in from Camp Lejeune, N.C., as part of the administration's response to the storm.<br /><br />"The areas worst flooded, as our guys are getting in there, they're not finding anything," said Captain Kahn, referring to the bodies that were anticipated. Fears were reinforced when previous rescue workers found swollen dead bodies last week in St. Rita's nursing home here. The home's officials have said that 32 of the 60 residents perished.<br /><br />The marines are grinding through swamps and bayous in amphibious troop carriers, searching a landscape of ruined houses, some torn into scraps like matchsticks, others with stairs leading to nowhere. Houses that have been searched and found empty were marked with a spray-painted orange "X."

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> I got flamed in the other "good news: post for my sarcatic remarks.
maybe 'cause you forgot the UBB code [sarcasm]...[/sarcasm]? ;)

PW2

Commander

I heard this same theory that somehow it made a difference that the death toll was lower than the mayor's estimates on Rush's show yesterday--I listened to him long enough until my lunch came, and I turned him off then not wanting to lose my lunch.<br /><br />I didn't understand his point then, and I don't understand it now. It could be that losing a few hundred poor people (in Rush's world) is no big deal, but when it comes to 10,000, why maybe that's getting close to crossing the line.<br /><br />I'm only guessing at what he meant, of course, and I admit it. It is always difficult to figure out what he means when you only have what he says to go by.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

OK here is another question.<br /><br />What is the body count directly caused by the delayed response from the rescue people?<br /><br />I had heard a rumor of 3 infants died at Superdome, has that been confirmed.<br /><br />Ken

oddjob

Commander

PW....The point is that EDIT-(when I) make this point and it bugs you....<br /><br />When the media, or anyone talks numbers the dont know like there real it bugs me..<br /><br />At least you watch the other side a bit PW...and have the nadds to admit it...your not supposed to be listening to Rush....you've been warned over and over again... :D <br /><br /><br />Democrats will be overjoyed if the toll is as high as they said they were/wouldbe.

KaGee

Admiral

The point is simple to understand PW2... for anyone who wants to.<br /><br />I'll say it again... for the 3rd time.<br /><br />Last week the 10,000 number was being tossed frivorously about to flame FEMA and Bush. <br /><br />However that point changed drastically this past weekend when the actual numbers were not adding up. From Sunday on the banter was all about how great the evacuation plan was and how well it worked... evidenced by the low casualty rate. <br /><br />That's the point.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"From Sunday on the banter was all about how great the evacuation plan was and how well it worked"<br /><br />This is my theory about the evac plan...you have to evaluate it, if only to see where improvements are needed. I mean beyond the obvious everybody-can-plainly-see improvements. To evaluate it you need to measure it. It might be callous to measure it in terms of fatalities, but that's the metric. <br /><br />Evacuating those who couldn't or wouldn't leave on their own is one part of the plan. Evacuating those with personal transportation is another. The two parts can be evaluated independently.<br /><br />When NO evacuated last year (Sept. 2004) for category 4 Hurricane Ivan (which turned away at the last minute thank God), I-10 became a parking lot full of potential drowning victims in cars, literally, 7 hours to drive 80 miles. This time, by reversing the flow of the inbound lanes earlier in the process, all those people escaped. <br /><br />That is a success in my book. <br /><br />To only consider the bad without considering the good, that's what we criticize about the media. I'm just saying, we can be happy for the folks who escaped without being disrespectful of those killed. <br /><br />It's an opinion not based on any political agenda...agree, disagree, dispute, debunk or ridicule it as you see fit, but no need for anybody to get personal.<br /><br />I don't think 10,000 is the standard against which to judge the actual, final number. Not sure what the standard should be, but there probably should be one.