No compression

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: No compression

Your probably wright about taking the block to a machine shop but i don't want to put much money in this it is 33yrs old. I put 2 of the diverters in between the middle cylinders there were obvious spots for them. The other 2 i put 1 on each end as they would not fit tight any where else. When i took it apart there was only 2 in there 1 on the end by cylinder 5 and 1 in the middle and both were like melted. I figure i will try the bolts the way they are worse case i get another head gasket for $20 but i don't want to ruin the block with the diverters. If anyone knows the wright location for them i would appreciate the help thanks.

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

33 years old? My dad runs a '56 Johnson. Now that's old. Heck, I was in school when yours was built. Outboards never really die.

gspointer

Seaman Apprentice

I really want to stress,
THESE PICS ARE A 1983 150

I can't find anything on a 1977 235.

P8140820.jpg

P8140821.jpg

Last edited:

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks everyone so much for all the help and the pics. 2 of the diverters i have in the exact location as the ones in the middle. The other 2 i have in the middle of the cylinders on the end not off to the side like the ones in the pics. I don't think it should matter much at least i hope not. I really don't want to pull the head again with the way those bolts are and probably would have to put a new head gasket again. I took the boat out and it ran great for the first time since i had it. I have been fighting this motor since i got it. I had a bad timer base 3 wires were dead on it, a bad power pack, the person before me who rebuilt the carbs decided not to use hangers on the floats for the jets on all 3 carbs and 1 bad coil pack. Finally i hope to enjoy this for a while and have some fun. Once again thanks everyone for all the help. If i ever need any help again i know where to come and yes you guys were wright about the head gasket thank you as i probably would have given up on it.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

those diverters are important for water flow in the correct pattern. it may work as you have it but ..in my opinion..its a risk that I wouldnt want to take.
heat is your enemy..those diverters create the direction water flows through the jacket.. i would think your repair manual would show you where they should be.

its up to you of course ...

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So if i am not over heating i should be ok. I took it out for around 15 minutes and it ran about 125 degrees. that was idleing and running about 5000rpm's

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

seems cold actually...from what i gather..something in the 145-160 range is a good temp.

if your diverters are bypassing areas and the temp sensor is thinking its not overheating you can have hot spots that dont triggere alarms for you..]

not to scare anyone here, just saying if water is shortcutting instead of making the right flow around all of what it needs to remove heat then you could be warmer in some areas.

thinking the motors age and the fact that you dont want to kill it just get i'm thinking its worth at least seeing where they should go exactly and then make the decision..

do you have the manual for that? does it say anything?..

if you dont, i think you can get a view at the exploded view of the engine on the brp site.

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No i don't have a manual i really don't know where to get one. The person at the marine store told me all 4 go between the middle cylinders but there was no way as 2 of them just couldn't lock in. The only other place they fit were on the ends over the jackets.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

3 diverters on each side, shown as "D" on the diagram

Attachments

• Water_Deflectors.JPG
    Water_Deflectors.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 0

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

3 diverters on each side, shown as "D" on the diagram

nice post TX... thats what i was hoping someone had..

BM..is your like that? do you see how the flow is directional?.. thats what I was saying..you want to ensure the flow is correct by having the diverters in the correct spots.

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The 2 in the middle are like that but the one on the end is centered and i obviously don't need the one on the other end. I guess know i have to take the head off again do you think i could reuse the gasket.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

its not recomended but if the head comes off without the gasket coming off then you could try it.. you didnt run that long and i would think if in tact..then see what happens..

some here might tell you do not reuse it ...

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yep I'm one of those that would say don't reuse it, they were never designed to be a reusable gasket. The problems that could accompany a head gasket failure ar far more costly than replacing it with new ones.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It is not unusual to have compression variances of 5-8 lbs between the two heads. Dents in the head and piston top are not a good sign. Did you inspect the top ring on that piston for integrity? Moving the piston side-to-side slightly should let you see the ring when the head was off. You can also pull the intake side cover off to inspect it.

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Did pull the head back off to position the diverters the wright way. Could not reuse the gasket anyway it stuck to the head & ripped the felt. I got a new one but i am not putting it on until i figure out what to do about the 4 head bolts that have heli coils in them they will not torque down they just keep turning. I am afraid to retap i don't know if i have enough thickness to go up about an 1/8 inch. Probably gonna take it to somebody to have it looked at.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Did pull the head back off to position the diverters the wright way. Could not reuse the gasket anyway it stuck to the head & ripped the felt. I got a new one but i am not putting it on until i figure out what to do about the 4 head bolts that have heli coils in them they will not torque down they just keep turning. I am afraid to retap i don't know if i have enough thickness to go up about an 1/8 inch. Probably gonna take it to somebody to have it looked at.

See if you can back out the Helicoils and use loctite to secure then in there.

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes i did get the heli coils out 3 of them actually backed out into the head and got stuck at that point. I was thinking lock tite but what if it doesn't work & i can't get the coil back out if i need to