No compression on cylinder 6?

Forgotten

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
47
Hey there, I have a 1993 Evinrude 150 Spitfire. Ran fine all last year. I started it up the other day to get it ready for Memorial Weekend after sitting all winter, and I heard a ticking coming from the engine after the fogging oil cleaned out and it was idling good again. After messing around a little while, I checked the compression and the bottom cylinder on the right side (if facing propeller) showed 0 compression while cranking the starter, and 40 psi with the motor running.

Since the motor ran fine last year, is there any chance that it could be a broken reed or a bad head gasket that didn't emerge until it sat all winter? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
 

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
15,938
Re: No compression on cylinder 6?

is there any chance that it could be a broken reed or a bad head gasket that didn't emerge until it sat all winter?
Thats engine has a o-ring head design and nearly impossible to blow one. More likely stuck ring or problems before it was winterized..
 

Forgotten

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
47
Re: No compression on cylinder 6?

Is there any way to free a stuck ring without tearing the motor down, or am I just being hopeful? What about a broken reed? Wouldn't that keep the cylinder from being able to build compression?
 

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Feb 24, 2002
Messages
13,262
Re: No compression on cylinder 6?

Whatever the problem... the first thing to do is to remove that cylinder head to inspect the piston, cylinder walls, the sealing O ring, etc. Hopefully you simply have a failed O ring.
 

Forgotten

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
47
Re: No compression on cylinder 6?

Thanks for the responses guys. I have been looking at Evinrude's parts diagrams and it doesn't look too complicated. I am very mechanically inclined and very familiar with 2 stroke engines in ATVs, but I have never worked on an outboard before.
 
Top