No charge, what to look for/fix?

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Engine is a 1974 Evinrude 70hp. I think that the guy I bought this boat from may have test run it without the battery hooked up. Would this cook the rectifier, the stator, or both? I have not gotten a manual yet. Visual inspection is that all three ignition coils are cracked and that the three black coils on the stator are weeping goo. Engine runs fine but needs some electrical repair over the winter. Suggestions?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: No charge, what to look for/fix?

It will cook the rectifier. And possibly the stator when you hook up the battery, depending on which rectifier diodes are shorted.

However, the stator is already shot as evidenced by the leaking goo. Those 3 black coils are the ones that charge the CD ignition system.

Wonder how he ever got it to start without a battery and with leaking charge coils?

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: No charge, what to look for/fix?

It will cook the rectifier. And possibly the stator when you hook up the battery, depending on which rectifier diodes are shorted.

However, the stator is already shot as evidenced by the leaking goo. Those 3 black coils are the ones that charge the CD ignition system.

I kinda figured I would be replacing everything...

So the three black coils on the stator are the primary ignition coils and the 6 green ones are the charging circuit?

Wonder how he ever got it to start without a battery and with leaking charge coils?

There was a loose car battery with side posts in the boat. I got the impression that they just held the wires to the battery to test start it in the driveway so they could say it runs. I didn't realize this would have cooked the charging system when I bought the boat. I didn't even know if it would even run as it had been in storage for 5 years. FYI, I just had it out on the lake again for what will likley be the last time this year, It still runs pretty well, but I have all winter to fix it as it's time to start getting the Polaris XCR800 ready for the snow...LOL