No Butts

kwikk9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I gave up the smokes on Oct. 1. after 45 years (started when I was 13). The Doc prescribed a medicine called Chantix which blocks the rush you get from nicotine. Works well, but I'm still dealing with the habitual/psychological part. Old habits die hard. But, I'll tell you, I'm feeling good.

The problem is I'm distracting myself by spending more time in the IBoats forums. Is that more unhealthy than smoking?

Seriously, anyone else out there who's done this successfully and lived to tell about it? I could use some support/encouragement.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: No Butts

More power to you, i'm seriously considering trying it. yes, i know several that have quit using it, and one that failed, but she had no will power.

kwikk9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah: You just have to say to yourself "who's in charge here: me or the Marlboro's"?

BTW Tashasdaddy: My son adopted his second Siberian Husky over the weekend. He's an 8 month old male named Jeb, who was found as a stray in Alabama and ended up being adopted through SPCA in Nashua, NH. He's getting along great with his big sister, Maya.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Hang in there! Good luck! I'm going to try to quit by the first of the year.
Not sure what method to try.
Let us know how it goes....:D

MikDee

Banned

Chantix didn't work for me, it did nothing, just gave me depressing dreams, and nausea,,, tried it on 2 different ocassions, my Dr. agreed, it was not for everybody. Zyban didn't help any either, after being on the full meds 2wks I couldn't taste my cigs anymore, so I bought stronger cigs, :rolleyes: till I gave up the meds! With the patches, I never was able to stop the cigs completely, and the nicotine gum (when it 1st came out) made my mouth numb, and was dry, & horrible tasting like used Doublemint. Smokenders, Smoke stop, Hypnosis group, & individual,
acupuncture, and the laser treatment all did nothing. If there is, or was a treatment out there, I've tried it to no avail, and I've about given up, "giving up".

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The problem is I'm distracting myself by spending more time in the IBoats forums. Is that more unhealthy than smoking?

Shoulda been around back when we could talk about current events k9. Then you would not have to ask that question.;)

...but do keep up the good work. As you discovered, nicotene adiction is only half the equation, and I not so sure it is the worst half.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I saw the title "No Butts" and the first thing I thought of was "OMG, no barbecue":eek::eek:". Just shows how different folks can think.

JRJ

Commander

I didn't run the numbers to see if I smoked longer than you, but I did wait until I was 15 to start. Marlboros were 25 cents from a machine if that is an indicator. You will be glad you quit. Every-time I see a smoker "on gas" just to breath, I'm glad I quit. Good luck.

PS To Gary H NC, according to some back cutters, the healing goes better smoke-less.

kwikk9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chantix didn't work for me, it did nothing, just gave me depressing dreams.

That is a known side effect, and I've had that too. I've tried all those other things too with no luck.

Just keep on keeping on.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Two years ago, I went cold turkey after 30 years or so......
The ritual is much more than the physical addiction.....
It's all in your head, if you really want to quit, you will...
Good Luck!......:)

MikDee

Banned

Chantix didn't work for me, it did nothing, just gave me depressing dreams.

That is a known side effect, and I've had that too. I've tried all those other things too with no luck.

Just keep on keeping on.

Thanks man, that gives me more incentive, & encouragement, then people putting me down. It takes another smoker to understand, and feel your pain.
I probably should give up the computer, and TV, as it only fuels the problem.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hang in there MikDee. It'll be rough goin' but the fella's will offer some good encouragement. I won't be far behind you but I don't think that particular drug is available in Canada yet. I've tried a few others and they either have no affect or I get hyper especially on the patches.

I quit in '85 for over 10 yrs then divorce & lawyers and all that drama I was vulnerable and all it took was 1 smoke to get back on the wagon. :-(

I think there's a point in a smokers life when they just know (truly) that they just don't want to do it anymore. That's what happened to me in '85 and I did it cold turkey. Hard to put my finger on it but it's a moment of truly clear rational and those times I've tried to quit that hasn't been there. I do think I'm getting close again and when it happens the smokes go out with the rest of the trash.

Good luck pal.

Rick

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've quit twice, and gone back, that was years ago. the longest 15 months. the worst part was when if drank a beer or drink, they just went together too well.

MikDee

Banned

Hang in there MikDee. It'll be rough goin' but the fella's will offer some good encouragement. I won't be far behind you but I don't think that particular drug is available in Canada yet. I've tried a few others and they either have no affect or I get hyper especially on the patches.

I quit in '85 for over 10 yrs then divorce & lawyers and all that drama I was vulnerable and all it took was 1 smoke to get back on the wagon. :-(

I think there's a point in a smokers life when they just know (truly) that they just don't want to do it anymore. That's what happened to me in '85 and I did it cold turkey. Hard to put my finger on it but it's a moment of truly clear rational and those times I've tried to quit that hasn't been there. I do think I'm getting close again and when it happens the smokes go out with the rest of the trash.

Good luck pal.

Rick

Divorce, been there, done that, a bad scene, didn't help matters any. I lucked out, got remarried, moved to the country, and life is good now. I really have reasons to quit now, but also retiring at the same time, I'm not "on the clock" with my mind over occupied, so it's even harder now it seems. The only time I've had any luck quitting, was during ocassional small hospital stays, actually most of the time there I didn't have the cravings? I guess it was the healthy environment, but it wasn't long enough. While I was on vacation recently in Tenn, & NC, it was not convenient at times, and I was able to cut down 1/2 way, but now the stress of trying to get everything buttoned down for the winter has me back to the usual routine.

bekosh

Lieutenant

I've been there myself. I would quit for 6 months or a year then go right back. Finally this last time I was able to do it. Used the patch and a ton of regular gum to take the edge off. But in the final count it was just an overwhelming desire to finally quit that did it.

Stick to it, you'll manage.
Paul, nonsmoker 6 years and counting.

Rally8-4-07018.jpg

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Divorce, been there, done that, a bad scene, didn't help matters any. I lucked out, got remarried, moved to the country, and life is good now. I really have reasons to quit now, but also retiring at the same time, I'm not "on the clock" with my mind over occupied, so it's even harder now it seems. The only time I've had any luck quitting, was during ocassional small hospital stays, actually most of the time there I didn't have the cravings? I guess it was the healthy environment, but it wasn't long enough. While I was on vacation recently in Tenn, & NC, it was not convenient at times, and I was able to cut down 1/2 way, but now the stress of trying to get everything buttoned down for the winter has me back to the usual routine.

Sounds like ya got time to build yourself a boat MikDee! You'll be up to your eyeballs in sawdust, fiberglass and epoxy for months on end! Nothin' worse than epoxyin' a cigarette butt to your lips!!! Try explainin' that to the wife!!!

ndemge

Commander

quit 2 packs a day cold turkey, will be four years this New years eve.

I just walked away.

First week was hell. First month was hard. Took a year to feel confident that I had licked it.

Don't play the mind games. Your brain will try to tell you it's ok to reward yourself of not smoking... by smoking. Sounds stupid, but your brain is a tricky sob!

It can be done.

Andy in NY

Commander

i am trying to quit now. dr gave my ziban, only makes me feel sick. i tried the gum and it tastes like crap. basiclly at this point i only smoke while at work, mostly because of the routine thing. i havent smoked at home in like 3 weeks now, except for once.

most non smokers just dont understand why most people cant just stop.

i agree with ndemge about the "reward"... i was like that for the first few days.