No blocking diode in slow mode VE115TLETS wiring harness????

Auto parts is going to have another new gauge for me in the morning; thney do not want to be loaning a bad gauge.
FUTILE I know but I do not give up easy.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove bypass covers and inspect pistons / rings.----Cost you 4 gaskets at $4 each.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Maybe Dad removed VRO because he thought the alarm was VRO, otherwise "slow" would protect?
Forget the SLOW feature as motor never had it. This is causing you to run down rabbit holes. #2 compression is suspect

I am going to have to find an experienced outboard mechanic as I do not have the fortitude to attempt this myself.

1993 Evinrude ve115tlets; work done so far. Random order list.
  • VRO previously disconnected by my Dad
  • Replaced old fuel with new non ethanol premix
  • Replaced anti-siphon fitting at tank
  • Replaced pickup tube and screen
  • Replaced fuel lines from tank to carburetor, including primer solenoid lines.
  • Added Yamaha fuel filter, and check valves above and below bulb.
  • Replaced Evinrude in line fuel filter.
  • Sprayed carburetor with carb cleaner and blew out with compressed air. Replaced carburetor gaskets, and float needle valve. Needle valve seat and high speed jets not replaced though I have the parts.
  • Replaced Fuel Pump/VRO assembly with aftermarket fuel pump.
  • Assembled fuel manifold from brass fittings and replaced existing plastic manifold.
  • Replaced pulse limiter
  • Replaced primer solenoid
  • Replaced Water Pump
  • Replaced thermostats, relief valves and heat sensors
  • Replaced Sparkplugs, Plug wires, Coils, and Power Pack.
  • Motor does not have blocking diode in wiring harness as it does not have SLOW (Speed Limiting Overheat Warning)
  • Replaced Remote control. Neutral throttle advance lever inoperable; suspect screws were left out.
  • Had propeller rubber bushing replaced.
  • Repaired deteriorated wire insulation where found (mostly on tan alarm wiring.)
  • Compression check: #1 125psi; #2 105 psi: #3 120 psi; #4 115 psi.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most of the work on your list is ---" guess and hope "---No real testing done.----Do you know what the pulse limiter is for?----Do you know what the primer solenoid does?

you are 100% correct. I was hoping that my problem was fuel. Dad thought so and had tried to switch to portable tanks. I knew the function of pulse limiter at the time but was hoping that if malfunctioning, it might reduce the output of the fuel pump. The motor was less than a year old when the primer solenoid first failed; probably had less than 50 hours on the motor.

SALTCHUCKMATT described me as Rambling. True! Guess I should live up to it. Dad was 70 years old when he bought the boat. I am now 76; he was probably about 76 when he disabled the VRO. Like many others he did not trust it. Dad was radioman on B17. He spent his time between missions fixing the radios that the Germans shot up.. Story goes he had 3 jobs so he could by a washing machine for my diapers. It did not work so he went back to Sears and asked for a part. they gave it to him and told him to bring back the old part. They asked if it worked when he brought the part back, and when he said yes they asked him if he wanted a job. 42 years later he retired as service manager. He built 3 service centers for them and even though he was rural he was #1 in profitability. His specialty was refrigeration but he fixed anything Sears sold.

when our hometown outboard sales and service dealer went out of business, he bought all their parts and abandoned "scrap" motors. he built and sold 12 motors. He also bought all their Zebco reel parts. ditto.

I can attest to the reality of the frog in the pot of hot water. I was 71 when diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. It was a very slow growing kind that I
can look back and see that physical and mental fatigue had been slowly growing for 15 or 20 years. My business partners kicked me out because I had slowed down; they did not know what I was doing till I was not there to do it anymore. it has been 9 years and they are still unable to replace me.

Yes, I know the satisfaction of determining and fixing the source of the problem. I admire those who can still do it. I too, scowled at the men who brought a paper sack of Television tubes to the 7-11 to fix the TV. (remember those days?)

the pages on the calendar are flipping at an accelerating rate. My last parts order took 9 days after I paid for RUSH shipping. this is the second or third summer that my grandkids have not been able to tube behind the deck boat. It was a Biden moment when my son said it was the starter. Yes I also replaced the starter. I am guilty of buying extra because I do not want the delay caused by not ordering enough.

I was embarrassed when I checked compression after your suggestion. I had bought an inexpensive amazon gauge 3 years ago when working on diesel tractors. Brain in neutral, I did not notice that the needle was not zeroed, or that the pressure was excessive for a gasoline engine; it was right in there for diesel. But when the auto parts new(still in celophane) loaner gauge was registering in the low 30's, I did convince them to get another.

I did not know about SLOW until I read about it in a service manual. It said ALL motors had it and it sounded like what we were experiencing. so I shifted from fuel to overheat.

I accidentally discovered your forum while surfing for answers. You could have saved me a lot of time and money. I am a retired professional electrical engineer. I have a problem solving mindset that is sometimes only firing on one cylinder. NOW DUE TO LACK OF SKILL AND FORTITUDE I MUST SEARCH FOR A COMPETENT MECHANIC.

BE KIND TO YOUR ELDERS.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
All repairs start with basic troubleshooting. A 2 stoke engine must have 3 things to run. 1) Spark energy at plug to fire fuel charge under compression 2) Satisfactory compression to support combustion, a compression test will not tell you condition of cylinder! If its 10psi lower than others there is a problem with it 3) A atomized fuel air mixture from carbs as raw fuel will not ignite. Testing all the above will point you in a inspection/repair direction. I myself retired last March. I was Assistant Director of Engineering for 2nd largest convention /hotel in Tennessee. Had a lot of bearing failures in our 25-100hp VFD motors that was a engineering design flaw. Failure to supply information that motors where to be greased only with non conductive bearing grease. This caused edm current to destroy shafts and bearings. I fixed them by applying shaft ground ring kits after I saw this on a replacement motor and did some inquiring