Nissan 9.8 has a pull-starting issue (doesn't always engage into motor), also a carburetor question.

biederboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've got a Nissan 9.8, 2004. About 10% of the time when I pull-start it doesn't engage into the motor. I've taken the pull-coil assembly off and everything looks good. I'm wondering if it's the "spreader" that is maybe wearing out (the "teeth" open out when pulled to start). Is that the only thing that could be an issue? Where the spreader engages into looks fine. I'm just assuming that somehow the teeth aren't opening properly or engaging.

So the carb has two issues. I have to keep it choked for a few minutes for it to run well, seems kind of long. If I don't, it will stall and have a hard time starting again. It also stalls on occaision while trolling at low speed. In that case it usually starts again easily (after warmed up for at least 5 minutes), it's just a bit annoying. I'm deciding whether to take apart and clean or just get a new carb. I see one on eBay and notice that there's something possibly missing, you can see what it is on the attached photo. It kind of looks like it was never on mine (I got it used, not new) but concerned if it should be one. If there's something that should be on it but missing it would just be easier to buy a new carb.

Thanks for any help,
BB

Attachments

• Drawing1.jpg
    Drawing1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 4

pvanv

Admiral
I would clean and lubricate the 2 ratchets. Make sure the return springs are OK.
As for the carb... assuming you have an MFS9.8A2. Year is irrelevant.,, I would do a Proper carb cleaning. The accelerator pump in the picture was used on some Mercury and european models. Not used on US versions.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
I agree with Paul on both. Clean/lube the ratchets would probably do the trick. You also might try modifying how you pull. Instead of "one big pull" to start, you should actually pull VERY QUICKLY and VERY LIGHTLY for the first couple inches just to engage the ratchets, THEN pull hard to actually start.

On the carb... you are probably running a bit lean all the time (probably due to gumming up) and it's just worse on cold starts because the engine needs to be a bit richer there. Cleaning would definitely resolve that.

If you did want to replace the carb, then using the one with the accelerator pump should be OK, it's just not required.

biederboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey thanks guys, looks good, especially on the slow-to-fast pull on the pull-started (I probably start off kind of quick). The ratcheets were really clean but I will lubricate them, probably with some teflon spray.

Thanks again
BB