Nissan 25hp 2 stroke Idle adj?????

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, My dad has a 25hp 2 stroke Nissan outboard on his boat and It has about 15 hours on it. Ever since we first started it the idle has been too high, it slams into gear. I tried to mess with the linkage but can't figure it out. Is there an idle adjustment on this motor? I don't think its a carb adjustment????....Anyone....I'm goin out in the morning.....Thanks in advance....Warren

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Nissan 25hp 2 stroke Idle adj?????

Tiller or remote controls? Either way I'd first check if you can back off the throttle cable a bit.

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

It has controls, also I tried to adjust the linkage and it didn't work. At first I was thinking it was not returning to neutral but I checked. it won't go back anymore....Any suggestions on if there is an idle adjustment on this motor?

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't have a factory shop manual for the 25, Clymer gives an idle speed of 900 rpm in gear. You do have an idle speed adjustment screw(Side of carb) and a throttle stop screw( top of carb).

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats the problem is that I'm wasen't sure if this motor had one, my thought was that the idle was adjusted through the timing and not the carb. I do see an adjustment screw on the carb but don't want to mess witht the idle fuel/air mix screw if thats it. I'm going to go and look for a manual today. The motor only has a few hours on it now but sooner or later i'll be needing it.......