nineteen review

ziggy

Admiral
gonna try to sum up a nineteens handleing. i've never seen a review of any 1975 boats so thought i'd start......

mine is a great slow cruisein boat. 1k rpm to 1900 is sub planeing. 1k to 1400 is great for just looking about. it does wander as any v hull. but if ya let go of the helm. it wanders pretty straight in the end.
at 2k is about as slow as it'll go and plane, maybe 2100rpms. slow planeing needs a bit of trim up to achieve, but then can be brought down.
i will say this boat must be learned to be at the helm or it'll beat ya to death. proper trim angle and approch and speed is nessesary to keep this hull from slapping real hard. i've really had to learn how to read the waves to not beat me up to much....in the end. if the chop is real bad, slow is the word.
while slow is the word. this boat seems to be most seaworthy is pretty big chop. the deep v + flaired bow does pretty good at deflection of incoming waves..
at speed is where the fun of this hull is for sure. it don't look like a fast boat. but i get boughts 43 mph out of mine. trim up, 4300-4400. 4300 being max rpm for the L6 it has. at speed with trim it rears up and rides light. turns become real flat, almost slideing. turn it hard enough and it does end up ventilating.....
i normally cruise at about 2800. slight trim up. ya can let go of the helm and it drives stright.
at rest is another note. this boat realy seems to rock a lot in the wave. haveing many random boat waves in the middle of the summer can be somewhat distracting. it really rocks a lot. more constant wind blown waves it tolerates much better. however it does seem to rock a bit.
it is also pretty weight sensitive. whatever weight ya got onboard needs to be pretty evenly distributed. if not the boat will list to the heavy side.
ya can go with the waves at speed better than against. much better. it doesn't beat ya up near as bad. only going into the waves is a bummer......and that's my main grip about it. other than that. this boat is pretty dandy. handleing wise compared to a buddys 00 bayliner capri. the capri wins hands down.

these boats i'm sure don't handle like new cad designs. but for an older boat, it don't do to bad. it seems sea worthy.....

guess i should review more than just handleing here too. the astetictics.

the slideing hardtop. just can't say enough good about that. what a good idea. when fwd. there's much space in back for fishing or sunning. just a place to walk about. under the top is very nice. ya can have sun or not. it slides. the center window slides vertically too. it can be open an inch or 3. or half way or full open. very nice for various weather conditions. that along with the sliding hardtop makes it so ya can enjoy many weather conditions. in real hot weather the side windows remove too. great for more ventilation. only in the hottest of weather have i been to hot. mostly my feet. no air flow with a closed bow.
another nice feature is the walk around gunwales. they're about 4" wide, the hard top has a hand rail to hold onto. ya can walk the perimiter of this boat. very handy. + someplace to walk when yer just board and hanging out. anchoring is a bit of a bummer on this boat. as ya pretty much need to be on the bow to deal with it.
it pulls waterskiers with no problems..
storage on these boats is better than i thought. a ski locker runs from just in front of the engine cover to the ft. of the ft. seats. it's full length. access is in the back and ya only access half of it. in ft. of the ski locker, between the ft. seats is a cooler. i use it for my tool box and other emergency items. the bow is open inside. i use it for storeing lifejackets and bailing bucket. a small trash can also resides there. the is a open glove box on the port side on the dash. both sides under the gunwales have carpeted storage. i use one side for fenders and the other side for junk. the back to back seats also have storage under them. my anchor and tech books and charts and two of them canvas lawnchairs in a bag reside there + a swim ladder on the other side. both seats fold down into beds too... all in all. a lot more storage than i thought it had.

Last edited:

R1100Rick

Recruit
Re: nineteen review

Ziggy,
Thanks for the review of your Aristocrat 19 - Now I'm getting cabin fever.
Also for your reply and making me "welcome aboard" iboats.
It's been -20 wind chill but I've got your leads and tips to follow up on SO...
I'm walkin' on Sunshine. I'll let you know what I've got soon.
Rick from Mich.

Attachments

• resize A Great Camper 1973 Aristocraft 19.jpg
    resize A Great Camper 1973 Aristocraft 19.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 0

ziggy

Admiral

I'll let you know what I've got soon.
will be lookin forward to hearing about it..... i hear ya about the cabin fever....... springs coming. just not soon enough.....

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great review written, and I am glad you are enjoying your boat. If you ever need any parts and info the company is still in operation and you can find the website at www.aristocraftboats.com

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lime time is a great looking boat by the way. We didnt make too many green ones, and yours looks VERY clean. Great job.

ziggy

Admiral

Great job
thanks aristocraft..... i'd sure like to take credit but can't. i'v done nothing to this boat.... it's original, short of the stern nav. light. when i got it the previous owner had already put in an aftermarket horn, 2 wire basket type cup holders, cb, and 8 track player radio and antenna. the cb is now a vhf, the 8 track is now a cd player w/ the old antenna, and the horn i've replaced with one that looks better and is not mounted at the very ft of the bow. the cup holders are still in use. i've added a 12v power supply and 6 gang fuse box under the dash.

before i got it, it was alledgedly stored in an airplane hanger under cover in rapid city, south dakota for 15 years......... so far all i've done is PM to get her going after the 15 year sit. the hull only needed a waxing to shine. upulstry still is oem w/ aristocraft emblem on all seats. steering wheel too. but aint sure how long that's gonna last as the helm is starting to get a shade loose.....

We didnt make too many green ones
cool. whilest lime green probably wouldn't have been my 1st choice in colors. i'm certainly happy with the color now. specially when i here it's kinda rare.... must say, i've been lookin at nineteens on the web since i got mine. in a year plus of googleing aristocraft nineteens. i've seen one olive boat and one boat advertised that it was green (did say whether it was olive or lime green). but that fella had repainted it blue.... very nice looing boat, but he covered up his green color.... so, that green one being blue. mine is the only lime green one i've ever seen in my searches....

so how rare is the (my) lime green, aristocraft?

IMG_0738.jpg

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, in my years with the company, 7 years, i have probably only seen 5 or so. Although i dont know the exact production number, I do know that it was very low. The lime green was made in the mid 70's then one more run in 79. But like i said, very few. So make sure to keep it original. The seats are the most important thing in your boat. As long as your interior is still in great shape, keep it that way, thats where all your value is. I for one have always loved the lime green, mine is a red and cream model.

ziggy

Admiral

thanks, my seats are in fair shape.... no cracks, but a few pin type holes..... any suggestions on keepin it in good shape. i'm useing aerospace 303 on it now........ i have thought about full plastic seat covers that are clear? dad had his cars covered in that crappy feeling stuff when i was kid. when he sold the cars though. the interior was brand new...... suggestions?

got any pics of yer red and cream one. i know i'd like to see it.....

interesting on the qty of lime green ones. mine is mid seventies alright... 1975.... since were on the subject of color. ya got any leads on lime green carpet? mine aint gone yet, but it's showing wear too. if not, perhaps oem mfg part number like i got for the 2111 coke bottle green plexiglass?

it just amazes me that aristocraft is still around. congratulations on that.... i can't think of anyone ever commenting that they can deal with the oem boat mfg for a 33 year old boat......... :)

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well ziggy i have dozens of pictures of the boats, unfortuanly i cannot easily load them onto this site. I would be happy to email them to you if you would like. As far as seat care, i use mine like they were meant to be used. But when i am done, I make sure to keep a full cover on the boat to keep them sun free. They are in great shape many years later. I dont believe i have any of the carpet left for your boat, but i will check next time i get in the warehouse. Also the same with the number made. Since all the records were kept in books i would have to actually have to go page by page and count them.