Nice Parking Dumb*****

Status
Not open for further replies.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So i pull into the launch line, and it seemed a little longer then usual. Ramp was recently remodeled and I have to say the city did a nice job. Three launch lanes and two nice new docks on both sides, plenty of parking. Usually moves pretty fast, but today the line was just going really slow..then I noticed why...this idiot parked and managed to block almost all the lanes. he was sticking out so far most drivers were unable to get the boat into the correct lane and be able to pull out. I soo badly wanted to drag his trailer around out of the way, but luckily the nice police officer was already there filling out his citation. Did not speed up the ramp any. The best is he had to chock all four tires in fear that his rig would roll into the lake..

IMAG0069.jpg

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Nice Parking Dumb*****

I'm guessing he parked in the parking spot infront of his rig, In gear w a 4speed manual trans and his parking brake is loose broke or not set, and the truck slowly rolled downhill into the P lot as the engine turned over, after he left the ramp in his boat, hence the chocks.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it still just amazes me that someone would just leave there rig parked like that...just walk away. ohh and there is plenty of level flat parking about 50 yards up the parking lot. he just had to be close to the launch.

oldjeep

Admiral

I'm guessing he parked in the parking spot, In gear w a 4speed manual trans and his parking brake is loose broke or not set, and the truck slowly rolled into the P lot as the engine slowly turned over, hence the chocks.

Sounds reasonable - the chocks were probabally put there by a good samaritan who saw it moving.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Last season at one of the single lane, tiny accesses, we go to there was a pro fisherman simply parked in the access lane when the spots were gone. It was the very definition of egregious. There were nasty notes all over the vehicle.

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

That's too bad. Nice truck though.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I'm guessing he parked in the parking spot infront of his rig, In gear w a 4speed manual trans and his parking brake is loose broke or not set, and the truck slowly rolled downhill into the P lot as the engine turned over, after he left the ramp in his boat, hence the chocks.

I've owned my share of sticks back when they were common. I'm confused why he didn't put it in reverse to park. Maybe forgot in the heat of the moment.

emoney

Commander

You know, the Good Samaritan idea is probably spot-on. Guy probably had no idea his rig was out in the lane like that. Lucky and unlucky all at the same time I suppose.

Worse things happen, I reckon.

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yep, I would say more to that picture than meets the eye?

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Possible a friend pulled the truck into the parking spot while the owner piloted the boat, and they did'nt set the E brake cause they never drove a manual or just forgot. I've had e brake cables stretch and need tightening or they won't hold the truck on a hill in gear, especially w lousy compression in an old motor.

dwco5051

Commander

I will go along with the drifting back idea. I towed my bass boat many years ago with a "64 Chev 3/4 ton with a four speed and an 11" slide in camper. Even in reverse with the parking brake on it would creep if the incline was steep enough. Remember that those old drum brakes were not self energizing going backwards. Always chocked it if I had to park any where with the front end higher than the rear.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'd say it probably rolled back, too. However, as steep as it is, I'm surprised they were able to stop it; must have been a creeping brake or maybe even in reverse and working agaist the motor, key off?
What is equally surprising is that the trailer backed straight. the least little angle and it should have been off to one side. All six wheels had to be in perfect allignment for that to happen (unless it jackknifed, stopped the truck, then someone dragged the trailer back over)

if it did back itself out, show that picture to someone who can't back a trailer straight, and tell him he'd be better off letting the truck do it without him in it!
(truthfully most people's backing problems come from overcorrecting, usually in a panic)

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys.....sorry... but I am near sighted.....thought I was all the way in the spot. Will do better next time.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Hey guys.....sorry... but I am near sighted.....thought I was all the way in the spot. Will do better next time.

That must make it tough to load the boat or to board, step off onto the dock :D

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I All six wheels had to be in perfect allignment for that to happen (unless it jackknifed, stopped the truck, then someone dragged the trailer back over)

Given that it maybe is 20 feet back from where it started, that wouldn't be that hard to do. I doubt it jackknifed, that truck looks high enough the trailer would have fit under the bumper and twisted all kinds of things when it stopped it.

Yeah, personally I would have had no problem picking up that trailer and moving it off to the side.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, personally I would have had no problem picking up that trailer and moving it off to the side.

That's what I was going to do...I was going to drag the trailer around to the front of his truck. he had the trailer locked to the hitch, but did not have the hitch locked to the tow bar. however the officer there was already taking care of the situation. I figured the fine was enough.

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am going with it rolled back and someone chocked it seeing what had happened.

82rude

Rear Admiral

drove sticks for 20 years and never had that issue guys.maybe fords were better,lol.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Do you think there's a chance that something broke and that's all the further he could go. I mean seriously, why would you block all four wheels unless you had to.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I just zoomed it and it's hard to tell for sure but I don't see a rear drive shaft. If there is one he's new to 4x4's and doesn't know that when you lift em you have to tilt the rear end up to maintain drive shaft alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.