NHL SET TO CANCEL SEASON {WHO CARES}

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: NHL SET TO CANCEL SEASON {WHO CARES}

the NHL players assoc/ owners reps met here in<br />niagara falls last night and it looks like they<br />are about to close a deal to save the season.<br />the players assoc. offered a salary cap proposal,<br />which is what the owners want.<br /><br />I for one grew up on skates and love hockey.<br />I sure hope they work something out...

eeboater

Commander

I agree Flat. But out of the 3, I'll take the NFL. They seem to be the least whiney. The NFL has done it right.<br /><br />Sean

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> I agree Flat. But out of the 3, I'll take the NFL. They seem to be the least whiney. The NFL has done it right.<br /><br />Sean
Oh, you did not watch TO then. :p

dolluper

Captain

It's actually the second time the season has been shutdown ,there is talk the Stanley Cup sould be awarded to some other league this year ,as it was orginally awarded for hockey excellence and has been hyjacked by the NHL for all this years Boy that would make the other leagues put on a show I know many NHL players since my Uncle was a Scout for the NHL and most would accept the cap in a heart beat and some truly feel blessed with the talents they have and love playing the game Greed on the owners side has always been a problem Ask Gordie Howe fighting to get a desent pension out of them ENOUGH Give me my HOCKEY BACK

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

This afternoon on Fox Sports Phil Espotio was talk about bringing back the WHA. I like what he was talking about the pay possiblity, do it like golf he said put up 2 or 3 million dollars let the champs take the lion share and the losers get a appearance pay. Ole #7 is still pretty sharp and sounded p.o. at the player union and was concerned about the cities and small people like ticket takers and others jobs that were lost . I miss hockey and I think hockey dealt it self a fatal blow.......

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yep, all of the pro sports are about money. I used to enjoy watching baseball games until the World Series was canceled due to a strike. There hasn't been a ball game on any TV set in my house since.

dolluper

Captain

Yes hockey is one sport that keeps you awake while your watching it because of it's fast pace blick and you miss something The bad part now is all the jobs lost [not players] simple folk trying to make a living esimating 450 million in the US and 170 in Canada Wow!! and the fact that some players will retire since lots of contracts are coming up All I can say is it's a mess BIGTIME

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

It is being reported by The Hockey News that the players union signed on to a 45 million dollar salary cap clearing the way for a short season and a full play-offs. Good to hear but I think the damage has been done........

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I lost interest when 80% of the NHL players were from foreign countries. I lost interest in Indy car racing for the same reason, and I think that is one reason why NASCAR is so much more popular these days.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by BLU LUNCH:<br /> It is being reported by The Hockey News that the players union signed on to a 45 million dollar salary cap clearing the way for a short season and a full play-offs. Good to hear but I think the damage has been done........
NHLPA spokesman Johnathon Weatherdon, however, told the Associated Press on Friday night that the reports are “absolutely false.”<br /><br />In a rare showing of solidarity between the two sides, NHL vice president Bill Daly told TSN of Canada the reports are "entirely untrue and without foundation."<br /><br />TSN is also reporting that a deal has not been struck and called the chances of that taking place "very remote".<br /><br />"Nothing is concrete," veteran hockey analyst Bob McKenzie. "There are still a lot of hurdles to mount in the negotiations."