NHL SET TO CANCEL SEASON {WHO CARES}

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
I was reading that Gary Bettman is going to annouce Wendsday they are going to cancel the rest of the season. With the NHL already suffering from a identy crisis no exposure for a year surely will help them out. Bettman and the players union should be ashamed of themselfs. No money coming in and teams are strapped for cash I wouldn't be surprised that several teams fold. I think the NHL fan base don't care what happens now and I don't care myself. NESN{New England Sports Network} has been showing vintage Bruins games all season along it's nice the Bobby Orr and and the old-timers again....but the NHL... THEY SHOULD DRY UP AND BLOW AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: NHL SET TO CANCEL SEASON {WHO CARES}

ARGH! :mad: <br /><br />I enjoy watching professional hockey a lot.<br /><br />A pox and a conjur on all of their houses.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

BLU LUNCH<br /> only thing I can say is why did it not happen years ago :)

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm am big hockey fan!! But, it's either go down quick (as they have done) or slowly die. I've missed the games; but, I'm with the owners on this one -- the union has sold the sport out for the sake of $$'s. Going to be a long time getting the fan base back.

ob

Admiral

I don't watch much hockey nor the reports on why it is falling apart.Can someone shine some light on the issue?

Triton II

Commander

Seems a pity. Gotta love that movie Mighty Ducks!

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Hockey players have been on strike???<br /><br />I didn't notice. ;) I'm not a big hockey fan at all. I guess the NHL should be called the "No Hockey League" :D <br /><br /><br />AK Chappy

eeboater

Commander

NHL? Thats still around?

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Best game going. Until this I would have said the only sport that is played for love of the game. <br />Bettman is the wrong guy to run the league, did wonders for the NBA, but just not the right guy to help the NHL.<br />Goodenow, to arrogant and stuck with the idea of he has to beat the owners. <br />These types of negotiations are not about winning or losing its about compromise for the sake of both sides.<br />Who is to blame? I don't care just get it over and play some hockey!<br /><br />AK Chappy: the players are not on strike the owners locked them out. <br /> <br />OB: The league, as a whole, does very poorly when it comes to television ratings. The poor ratings, overexpansion of the league, and lack of teams in some "traditional" markets (Winnipeg, Hartford, Quebec) while placing teams in non-traditional markets(Phoenix, Carolina, Nashville) have lead to some poor ratings. Combine this with skyrocketing salaries, assigning blame for the increases is whole other debate, and you have a number of teams that are in financial trouble. The NHL has a very loyal core fan base but it is relatively small and this fiasco will not help to grow that base in anyway.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I play on the varsity hockey team at my highschool, due to skateing six days a week since thanksgiving, I haven't really missed the NHL much. I would go a a Bruins game every once and a while and enjoy it, but I get bord watching it on TV, its not the same as being there, or better yet playing yourself.<br /><br />I hope they come back next year.

brother chris

Commander

All I can say is "here in Canada, 1/2 the population is now devastated, suicidal and really really drunk. due to this strike". We don't know what to do now!!! Our trailer parks are a mess and the polar bears are running everywhere!!!<br />We here in Canada NEED help. SEND MORE BEER! :D

ob

Admiral

Thanks for that explanation DaleT.Too bad for staunch loyal hockey fans.

Homerr

Commander

LOL... sports...<br /><br />**YAWN**<br /><br />H.

LubeDude

Admiral

Oh man, Ive never seen a Hockey game and was going to watch one this year. :eek: darn foiled again!!! ;) :p :rolleyes:

gaugeguy

Captain

Luckily we have an AHL franchise about 40 minutes away. Cheaper ticket prices, more entertainment between periods, quality hockey, and WAY MORE fan (family) friendly. They had the AHL All-Star game here last night (USA won in a shoot-out!!!). I will miss the Stanley Cup Play-off run, no doubt about it. The NHL has got a lot of shaping up to do IMO.

oddjob

Commander

I played the game without rules, just a tree limb, and a horse hockey turd, on a frozen pond. The game aint been the same since.....he,he

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Why do they call it the National Hockey League anyhow? Shouldn't it be International Hockey Leage, or at least North American Hockey League?<br /><br />I never got into pro hockey. Around here the Badgers are usually a powerhouse at the college level. Is pro hockey any better than college? I doubt it. Screw the NHL! I'll bet the fan base is far better for college hockey anyhow.

gaugeguy

Captain

You are 100% correct WBW, college hockey is where it is at. Much more open and back and forth action. No clutching and grabbing so the skating, passing and stickhandling skills are actually used in the college game.

spratt

Lieutenant

NHL, NFL, NBA, all of them can dry up and blow away as far as I am concerned...the whole buncha overpaid whining dopers...