NGK vs. Champion Plugs

olmpilot

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As the regulars know, I just bought a new (to me) boat with a 89 evi V4 VRO 120 HP. I saw some posts that said "use Champion plugs only". Today I checked the plugs in my motor and they are NGK BPZ8HS / 10. Are these comparable to the Champions or should I replace them? The dealer just put them in when I bought the boat. Were they just saving money? Thanks for the input. <br /><br />Rick

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: NGK vs. Champion Plugs

Carb'd Evin/John motors are designed and calibrated for Champion plugs. Just like most Mercs and Yamahas are designed for NGK's. Nobody is saying they wont work, its just not how the were designed to be used.

BillP

Captain

I've swapped back and forth with these brands on more than a few motors. My gut feeling tells me the heat ranges aren't an exact match. My preference is Champs and they have always done fine when replacing OEM NGK plugs. I flew an ultralight plane with NGKs so it isn't like I don't use them. However, the ONLY reason it had NGKs is Champ didn't make a plug hot enough for the 38hp Kawasaki engine.

olmpilot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does anyone know what type champ plugs I should use for this motor to replace the NGK's? Thanks!

sangerwaker

Commander

There should be a cross reference guide in any of the spark plug books at your local automotive place. I have found the plugs to be much cheaper there than the marine places. You could also call an Evinrude dealer and simply ask them which Champion plugs to use. I had a '91 Evinrude 120, and the Clymer manual I had said to use one plug(can't remember the #), but there had been an update since printing. Mine used QL78YC's. Your '89 may be the same.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

120, 140 (90º V4 Looper) 1985 - 1993 QL77JC4 or QL16V Surface Gap .030

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Rickdb1boat,<br /><br />Your plug information is years out of date. The factory recommendation for 1985 to 2001 120-140 looper is QL78YC. The surface gap QL16V is for sustained high speed or commercial applications, plus it is a very expensive plug.

BillP

Captain

Do you guys use surface gaps? I quit using them a long time ago and never looked back.

jjboor

Seaman

Uuhhhm... I run my 'Rude V4 VRO 120 on Ql16V because that's what my mecanic told my was the plug to go for. Before I started using it there where indeed NGK BPZ8HS plugs in there. but can somebody tell me if I am using the right plug because I asked him about the QL78YC and he couldn't find anything about them...<br /><br />And what is A surface gap? And what does .030 stand for? <br /><br />And sustained high speed or commercial applications? Nope that's not me either... I use my boat wakeboarding but don't mind using the best quality...<br />So if somebody could explain this to my I would be a little wiser again! THX

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Dutch,<br /><br />QL78YC plugs have been recommended for your 120 since about 1996 when the then OMC and Champion redid all the plug charts. Gap them to .030". Ask your mechanic if he has looked at the annual Parts and Accessories factory catalog, which is the only official plug chart for J/E motors.<br /><br />The surface gap plugs have a flat nose with a circular ground electrode which makes them last longer. They can foul easier than regular styles.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Conventional plugs work best for all-around use. Surface gaps work better for sustained high speed. The QL16Vs have a small head which is supposed to foul less for long periods of idling, plus they work well for sustained high speed. But like you said, they're awfully expensive. I haven't run into a situation myself that they would be justified. They mostly are there if you have fouling problems with the more common offerings as a last-resort-try-this option. But I'm sure that shop has a higher profit margin than on the cheaper versions. ;) <br /><br />Generally I prefer ACs for GM motor Sterndrives, Autolites for Ford motor Sterndrives, Champion for American Made outboards, NGKs for Japaneese made outboards. Notice I say "made". A lot of Mercs are Yamahas with black paint. On those I'd use NGKs, as well as the Evinrudes made by Suzuki.

jjboor

Seaman

O.k. so Gapping sparkplugs means that you ajust the distance that the spark travels? (I picked up something about gapping smaller than needed because after some time of use the gap gets larger by wear?) And in my case that should be .030? Which leads me to the question what is .030 and how do I gap? Or is this something you have done?<br /><br />And after reading these posts I get the feeling I have(QL16V) an expensive though high quality plug already? So if it work and I don't have to change yet, why worry?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Those are surface gap plugs and should serve you well, no need to gap them. Can't. The ones with the hook on them get gapped...conventional sparkplugs.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Dutch - the .030 is an American measurement of distance, it's 0.030 of an inch. That would be equivalent to 0.75mm. You are correct, this is the distance the the spark would jump.<br />You adjust the gap by slightly bending the ground electrode with the tool that comes a spark plug gapping guage. The ground electrode is hook shaped metal wire attached to the spark plug's shell.

Ronald1

Seaman

My 1970 Evinrude 60 calls for a surface gap plug. It had conventional plugs in it when I bought it. I questioned the dealer and he recommended Champion L20v plugs. He was out of them so He sold me NGK buhw plugs.<br /><br />I took the boat to the lake and it ran OK with just me in it. Added a couple more people and the engine bogged, would not gain rpm. Went back to the dock and reinstalled my old plugs, Champion QL77JC4, motor ran great.<br /><br />I don't know if my motor doesn't like NGKs or surface gap plugs. I'm tempted to try Champion surface gap plugs (I believe the new # is L76V). Am I hurting anything by using a conventional plug as long as the heat range is the same?

walleyehed

Admiral

Champion and NGK's heat ranges go in different directions, as far as the number goes, and who actually knows what value that number is....????<br />I suggest sticking with the manufacturer's recommended plugs and be done with it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> your 89 has SLOW and requires inductive resisitve plugs. most NGK's are carbon resistive and have different EMI characteristics. use the proper plugs. the ql78yc seems to work well.<br /> good luck and keep posting<br /> PS my 85 120 had ngk br9hs10 plugs for almost 4 years :) <br />for the past 4 its been ql77jc's<br /> but mine does no6t have SLOW

jjboor

Seaman

O.K. thx!<br /> I'm sticking with the QL16V then I just ordered 4 more to have in the boat. They are 14U$ so expensive... but still they are the good ones so I'll just have to take care of them. How often should I replace sparkplugs?