NGK Plugs instead of champion

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can you substitute NGK BR8hs for Champion QL78C on a 92 40 hp Johnson?

Thanks
Ed

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: NGK Plugs instead of champion

As long as the numbers cross reference to each other you can do it. OMC recommends Champion though. I have an 85 Johnson that calls for Champion, I couldn't get them when I needed them so I went with NGK and it doesn't run as good. Your call.

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would stick with Champion. Interchangeable plug, less money

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The motor was designed to use Champion Plugs but it's your choice.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Isn't that NKG a resistor plug? Sorry, I don't know much about NKG stuff. But the Champion "Q" plug is an inductive suppressor plug, not a resistor plug.

phillnjack2

Ensign

NGK are not a good replacement for the champions .
I got intouch with ngk and asked about an exact replacement for these and got told by ngk that their plugs can be used but are NOT the same and will NOT give correct results.
for ngk to say they will not be perfect for the engine speaks volumes.

Also if you look on a genuine ngk chart there is no exact equivalent to the champion plug of this model.

buy the correct champion plugs.
I got ngk because could not get champions near me, in the end I found the correct ones and it DID make a big difference.

phill

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

One real problem with "cross-matching" plugs is that you if don't actually look up the correct plug in the owner's manual you may end assuming that the plug in the motor is correct..or reading a chart put together by someone who may or may not know what they are doing.
QL78C is NOT the OEM recommended plug. That plug has a standard nose.
You need a YC plug...it has a projected nose.

If you take the time to reverse-break-down the Champion numbering code and derive the QL78YC properties, you can then forward match those specs to an NGK plug.... if you must. :)

Last edited:

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a bucket full of NGK plugs that I pull out of old OMC's They can also cause hard starting issues. and when the engine is a pull start 55 commercial model. every pull counts! use CHAMPS

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

The problem that NGK plugs often cause is that resistor suppressed plugs (those with a 'R' in the number) are often listed, supplied and used as equivalents of the Champion 'Q' series plugs, which are inductively suppressed

Resistor plugs are not suitable for the OMC CDI ignition system.

There are now inductively suppressed NGK plugs equivalent to some of the Champion Q series. These have a 'Z' in the number.

For example NGK BZ7HS-10 is equivalent to the commonly used QL77JC4 but the often listed BR7HS-10 is not .

( the -10 in the NGK number indicates that it is supplied ready gapped at 1.0mm so will need re-gapping to 0.7 - 0.8mm ( 0.030")for OMC engines)

When suppressed plugs are not necessary unsuppressed plugs ( no R or Z in the NGK number) can be used

For example when the unsuppressed L77JC4 is acceptable NGK B7HS ( or B7HS-10) can be used.

Note however that suppressed plugs ( Champion 'Q' or NGK 'Z' series must be used in engines with VRO or OMS)

The NGK plugs which would be suitable for a 1992 40 HP Johnson are BPZ8HS-10 ( re-gapped to 0.030")

B= 14mm thread size,

P = projected insulator

Z = inductive suppression

8 = heat range ( Note lower numbers are hotter in NGK plugs)

H = ?" thread reach

S = standard centre electrode

-10 = pre-gapped at 1.0mm

Dont ask why other makes can use NGK resistor plugs ... I dont know the answer!

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

just use the champions ... ya cant go wrong

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

just use the champions ... ya cant go wrong

Outside "OMC land" and certainly outside N America NGK plugs have a better reputation than Champions, and are used in most major brands of outboard including Mercury and Mariner. It's just vital that if they are used in OMC engines the correct equivalent is used.