Newspaper in my home town endorses Kerry

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I cant believe a Texas based newspaper backs Kerry. Just shows the liberal left dominates the media, even in Texas. <br /><br />I would like to send them a letter, some of their "facts" look wrong, does anyone know the truth?<br /><br />Ken<br /><br /> http://www.baytownsun.com/story.lasso?wcd=18235 <br /><br />A political endorsement represents a consensus of The Baytown Sun editorial board, which is composed of the following members: Wanda Garner Cash, publisher; David Bloom, managing editor; Dee Anne Navarre, business manager; Joseph Lohan, assistant managing editor; Meredith Darnell, news editor; Jim Finley, columnist and former managing editor; and Jane Howard Lee, columnist and former reporter.<br /><br />A tally as to how the board voted also appears.<br /><br />+ + +<br /><br />Our endorsement of Sen. John F. Kerry is based on the need for a change in leadership. Based on his record, President Bush does not deserve re-election. <br /><br />Kerry’s Vietnam record as a soldier and a protester has taught him valuable lessons about the limits of American power and the importance of a president playing it straight at home and across the world.<br /><br />Kerry’s decades of public service give him a clear understanding of domestic issues. His beliefs on how America is supposed to work spring from the core of our democracy. His social policies are informed by compassion that is pragmatic and real and not just an alliterative campaign slogan.<br /><br />He knows it’s unacceptable that 45 million Americans lack health coverage, and he has a plan to shrink that number. He won’t shrug or smirk when he sees American children slipping into poverty or more paychecks losing buying power.<br /><br />John Kerry knows America needs to get back to work, to reclaim lost jobs, realign our trading partners and rebuild the surplus that Bush eroded into a $422 billion deficit.<br /><br />He will work to reverse the tax cuts for the very wealthy and use the money to improve health care and help middle- and lower-class families. <br /><br />Kerry understands the importance of homeland security, of working with our allies to fight terrorism and nuclear weapons proliferation. He also would end the back-door draft of American reservists and the use of American soldiers as imperial police. <br /><br />George Bush wrongly transformed the war on terrorism into an invasion of Iraq — a reckless decision still exacting a painful toll in lives, credibility, alliances, Islamic anger and lost opportunities.<br /><br />Ending the military occupation of Iraq must be a top priority for the next administration. This will be no easy task, but Kerry is more likely to do it — and with more understanding of Middle Eastern realities.<br /><br />America is suffering because of Bush’s poor decisions and policies: the misguided war in Iraq and its aftermath, undisciplined spending, assaults on constitutional rights and a religious social agenda that is wrong for the government of a diverse republic.<br /><br />Although our endorsement of John Kerry is not without reservations, we believe he is the kind of leader America needs now. A leader who sees the world clearly, who understands domestic issues, who can rebuild international alliances, and empower a government for the benefit of all Americans<br /><br />Editorial board vote: 4 for Kerry, 1 for Bush, 2 undecided.

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: Newspaper in my home town endorses Kerry

Money talks, BS walks!<br /><br />I honestly believe that these newspapers are being bought by the parties.<br /><br />Just my opinion.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I'll bet a fishin trip that you paper is a gannet paper ,like USA Today, Fort Myers Newspress and that bunch. <br />I would be shocked if >80% of the nation's newspapers did not endorse the liberal guy.<br />It happens every election.

NathanY

Commander

Originally posted by KKC:<br /> Money talks, BS walks!<br /><br />I honestly believe that these newspapers are being bought by the parties.<br /><br />Just my opinion.
in this case it looks like BS is walking too.

ndemge

Commander

Need help moving?<br /><br />I'll bring a trailer and some boxes

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

"George Bush wrongly transformed the war on terrorism into an invasion of Iraq — a reckless decision still exacting a painful toll in lives, credibility, alliances, Islamic anger and lost opportunities."<br /><br />Very concisely put in my opinion. Religious war is not a good idea and thats what Bush has turned this whole thing into.

KaGee

Admiral

Don't know if you all heard, JK's home town newspaper just endorsed GW. They say JK is the Wrong Man at the Wrong place at the Wrong time!

aspeck

Staff member

I hate editorials, and I hate newspapers endorsing ANYBODY! Just report the facts and let the readership sort it out! URGH! Just a pet peeve of mine - I hate the spin doctors on TV also! Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by aspeck:<br /> I hate editorials, and I hate newspapers endorsing ANYBODY! Just report the facts and let the readership sort it out!
I'm gonna disagree with you on that one, aspeck. It's difficult (downright impossible, IYAM) for caring and educated people to report only facts when dealing with political, religious, personal, or many other issues in any depth. I would rather read people's well thought-out opinions *based on fact* than a bunch of shallow headlines. I like to know where the papers stand, and I want them to be honest about it. I can choose to buy them or not, and I make my own decisions about their editorials and articles.