newer trophy or older grady?

jeffconnell12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, so please before reading, judging and offering advice... remember i am in vancouver canada and boats are overpriced and not as abundant.

So my dad and I are going to upgrade our 16.5 campion explorer for a much more ocean appropriate boat. The main purpose it will serve is fishing (some offshore, about 15km), crabbing and a little cruising. Our budget is about 20k but it would be nice to come in under that. I am open to purchasing in washington/oregon but will be paying an additional 12% due to importing. The boat will see some overnights but i would say quite seldomly, maybe a 2 or 3 a year max.. and typically 2-3 people (i dont mind sleeping on the deck).

We dont/cannot do anything larger than 21' (parking, trailering etc etc) so we are in the 19-21 range. The two boats we are looking at are a trophy 2002 (model) with a 150hp outboard and a (1990 ish) grady overnighter which has been recently repowered. We really want something with newer and reliable power. The boat will be stored on hard and trailered into the water everytime it is used (dry storage right next to boat launch). Here are two example of what we are interested in.. the tropy 1902 also came into question as it is quite cheaper than the others however i don't know how well those would ride and what the deck space is like for a few guys fishing (2 maybe 3). Let me hear your thoughts, thanks!

2000 Bayliner Trophy 2002 walkaround (probably trade the motor in and upgrade to a 135/150)

grady white OVERNIGHTER (like this but with a newer model engine)

2006 Trophy 1902 115 merc 4 stroke

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: newer trophy or older grady?

The Grady hull may well outlast the Bayliners easily. Bayliner sells a ton of those based on the entry level price and you get what you pay for. In my area there are more Yamaha motors than all others combined. The age of the Yamaha is the only thing I'd be concerned about. Parts for both Yamaha and Merc are usually easy to find as are trained techs. There is a following for 2 stroke motors and they are still being made but most prefer a 4 stroke today. Don't hurry, you may find something better in your price range. Watch for a Grady, McKee Craft, EdgeWater, or other maker above entry level. Hamaking sure ve a survey done and a tech check the motor before dropping a dime and after making sure docs are in order for transfer of registration.