newer powerhead on 1957 5.5 fisherman

Michawilden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I have a realy good looking evinrude 5.5 fisherman from 1957-ish. Powerhead is totally worn out.
I will not be able to find a used powerhead from the same era that I can fit here in the Netherands. However, a lot of newer style late sixties and seventies 6 hp motors/ powerheads with magneto ignitions can be found.
Will I be able to fit those on my lower unit? Problems I can think of are the splines on the axle, the starter mechanism and the rubber mounts on the powerhead for the cowling.
I will have to change out the intake which has the mounts for the rubber and the mounts for the starter. Can I change out the cylinder head? Newer style has a thermostat in the head and the gaskets are different. Or do I have to fix something with the cowling mounts and use the newer style head? The sparkplugs are also oriented to the starboard side.
Flywheel is different but I hope I can mout the older one without any problems.

Does anyone here have simmilar experience?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not going to work.-----However , you can fit the newer crankshaft , rods and pistons into a 1957 block.

Michawilden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the reply. Regarding your experience I take that as the truth. Just for my interest, why not?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check part # of the gasket between powerhead and exhaust housing !!

Michawilden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know it's a different gasket but exhaust housing of a 57 or newer one look the same to me.