Newbie with a problem

javmike

Cadet
Hello every one. Im new to the site and to boats. I bought a 1995 Javelin bass boat, with a 150 Johnson fast strike. I have allways had problems starting it, flooding it out i guess. I just took it in to the shop and they said it needed one carb rebiult and the starter needed to be replaced. they did that:eek: $900 later i get it home and try to start it, I still can not get it to start. I primed the bulb, and turned the key as i push it in. and nothing but a spining starter. Is there another trick i can try. Thanks for any help i can get.

Docknocker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Newbie with a problem

Welcome to iboats, Jav
Although I'm not a true "mechanic", it sounds like you still have a starter/bendix problem, or possibly not enough battery to spin the starter to full RPM's.
I'm sure the real mechanics on here will help

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Does the starter pop up and try to start the motor or no? If no, take it back to the place who did it and make them fix their starter. You paid a lot of money for that, and they need to fix it.
If it does pop up and turn the motor over, how fast does it turn over? It will need 300rpms or so just to start, a few more I believe, just don't know the exact number as others do.

D

DJ

Difine "Spinning starter".

Does that mean the starter is engaged and turning the engine over?

Starting procedure.

1. Pump up primer bulb.

2. Turn key to ON-NOT START.

3. Push key in and count to eight.

4. Release key.

5. Turn key to start NOT pushing it in.

james williams

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don`t laugh,I have a stupid question.Is the safety-lanyard inserted right?.

CaptRoob

Cadet

have you checked for spark? have someone crank the motor while you check for spark. if you pull off the sparkplug lead just far enough so you can see in there. when cranking you should see the spark in there jumping around. or you can pull the lead off and stick something metal like the tip of a screwdricer in there. holding insulated handle while cranking bring the shaft close to one of your engine bolts or something metal. if it jumps the gap you have spark. blue spark would be a strong spark. white spark is a bit weaker. yellow/orange is very weak.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

My tip, the choke is only on if you are holding the key in, as soon as you release the key the choke comes off.

javmike

Cadet

Thanks everyone for your tips. I'll have to give the count to eight priming a try, before i start it. The waters connected, saftey cord is connected, it sounds like the starter is connecting. Just seems that i dont know how to start it with out flooding it i guess.

javmike

Cadet

UPDATE I just got back from taking it back to the shop because i could not get it to start. They tried to start it while i was there and they said now its not getting any spark. Thanks CaptRoob you were right. Does anyone know whats the common problem with the spark on this type of motor.

javmike

Cadet

2nd UPDATE I received a call from the shop with my boat and they said that my power pak was shot and something on top of it was leaking some brown fluid maybe cause of the power pak going out. They want $750 to fix it again. I think i just got screwed over. I took the boat in because of a oil leak and $900 later i have a dead boat on my trailer.:mad:

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Man, you need to learn to work on your own boat, it really isn't that hard.

A power pack is the easiest thing in the world, plug-unplug easy, $750 is a total rip.

I would go get your boat back and shop around for another shop, these guys sound like there main concern is releiving you of as much money as possible.

Better yet get a manual and do it yourself, you can get an extremely nice tool set at Sears for around $200, a manual,available here on iboats, is @ $50, the power pack may be as much as $200-250 but you still save money.

If you run into problems simply post it and somebody will walk you through it.

CaptRoob

Cadet

you are getting ripped off! that shop must be charging 200 an hour for labor or something. i got a quote of 500 to 600 to rebuild all six of my carbs on a 200 ocean pro.

the power pack is probably around 100-250 depending on year and model and it shouldn't be more than 1 1/2 hours labor and maybe an hour troubleshooting. at 85.00 an hour for say 3 hours that would be a total of 255 for labor and lets say 250 for the part. looking at 505 plus tax and normal shop fees. this is kinda a high ball figure.

you need to find an honest reputable shop. i am lucky to have one within a couple of miles from me that has some of the most knowledgeable techs and are willing to work with you and share their knowledge to get you on the water and they are making an honest living not ripping people off!!

good rule of thumb for the future. you should shop for your motors by the mechanics available in your area to work on them. if you have a good honest omc mechanic close to you you should shop for a boat that comes with an omc motor. if you have a good honest reputable merc mechanic shop for a boat with mercury. i've had good and bad experiences with both but ultimately i chose a boat with omc because i know my techs well! and the few merc mechanics in my area are very expensive and put my single motor low labor cost boat on the back burner for the boats that come in a week later with triple 250hp motors on the back so i get bumped back! my omc mechanic will have you out in the order you came in unless he is waiting on some kind of backorder part!

FIND A GOOD "HONEST" SHOP OR LEARN TO WORK ON IT YOURSELF!

javmike

Cadet

Trust me i agree with you guys a got ripped off. the only reason i took it there is because they are the only shop left here in town and i thought they were good people i guess i was wrong. As soon as i got the phone call that he was going to charge me more, i went and picked it up and told all of the guys there they were out of there freakin mind. I think for as much as i payed already they sould fix it for free or atleast no labor. They charge $139 an hour. He told me that they had nothing to do with that problem, and they dont owe me anything. Sucks boat ran when i took it in and now it dont and im down $900 how does that work. Thanks for your guys help. I'm sure i'll need more help soon. One last question he said there was something above the powerpak that was leaking something brown. What is it? Looks like you guys are my new marine techs.