Newbie to boat repair, prep question

I have an old 12 ft. jon boat that was given to me approximately 15 or so years ago. the boat apparently had some leaks prior to me getting it and were fixed with epoxy or fiberglass. my question is whats the best way to remove the old fiberglass/epoxy from the aluminum? i plan on fixining the leaks by welding them myself, but dont have alot of knowledge with fiberglass/epoxy and all i can think of is to grind/sand the old repairs away. any one who may have any ideas please reply. thanks for all suggestions. by the way this boat will only be used in my pond with buddies and my kids. thats why i have had it so long without worrying with repair, all leaks were small till now.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Newbie to boat repair, prep question

Is the hull riveted or welded at the seams now? Good stiff stainless steel brush on a drill will eat right through the fiberglass. Fiberglass has no business being on an aluminum hull and usually will not hold.

Are the leaks from a crack in the hull? Is the hull worn through? Is there a wood deck on top of the hull or do you stand on the aluminum?

Depending on the type of leak/damage will determine the next course of action for the repair. A good start would be eliminating the fiberglass.

There are some epoxies that dry solid to the hull that will fill and repair some holes (JB weld, PC 11 or marine tex) but do not permit the hull to flex and over time they separate from the aluminum.

Got a picture of the hull/damage? Picture instructions here in the first 3 threads http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

shawnc

Cadet

An angle grinder with an aggressive flap wheel (36 or 80 grit) will eat just about anything in no time.

Are you TIG or MIG welding the hull?

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A heat gun will soften resin. You can then lift it with a putty knife. This makes
for less grinding.