newbie saying hello !

Mike in CT

Cadet
hello to all !
recently picked up a 1974 caprice mfg 17'ft . has a 165 hp inline 6 and an omc i/o . got it from a friend. needs a little work , so i'm sure i will soon have some questions for you guys. i'm glad i found this site already. i've been lurking for a few days reading posts and you guys seem like a friendly, helpful bunch i'm located in connecticut. we have a seasonal campsite on gardner lake and the campsite rents boat slips, so we will be keeping this in the water all summer at the lake. mostly just be fishing with my family, maybe a bit of tubing, and if it works out a little skiing behind it. i have 2 little ones i look forward to doing alot of fishing with them in it. anyway a big hello to all . i'm going to try to upload a few pics of boat. would love to hear from anyone who has any experiance with this boat at all. :D
DSC02907.jpg

DSC02906.jpg

DSC02908.jpg

DSC02909.jpg

cbavier

Lieutenant
Re: newbie saying hello !

74 Caprice: It looks like it should make you a good fishing boat. Welcome aboard iboats. Yea a little polishing and work can make you a nice rig. One you will be proud to own.

pduquette

Ensign

Hi ! Welcome 74 Caprice MFG !! Nice looking boat too ! Personaly, if I ever lose the battle to MBS It will probably be to a fishin' caprice - these caprice are great boats . Nice size , built solid . peter

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well, Hello Newbie............just kidding
I think you will like the MFG site. We're pretty friendly here. Always trying to help fellow MFG'ers. Although most of us have never met... We are on a first name basis:D I go by *EdC*, my name is Ed.. Once again, Welcome aboard!

a70eliminator

Captain

Very nice....... looks like it's wearing some cool shades. Baby that stringer hopefully it's a mechanical shifted gearcase.

Mike in CT

Cadet

" Baby that stringer hopefully it's a mechanical shifted gearcase. "

?? what did you mean by that?

pduquette

Ensign

Hi 74 capriceMFG !
I believe a70e is refering to the old style OMC "Stringer" I/O unit . I'm no guru but from what I've read they are dificult to find parts for , and it'seven more difficult to find a mechanic to work on them .
Start by posting some good photos of the motor + I/O unit , inside and out so they can id everything , and give advice or course of action.
I guess if she's still working good , hope nothing goes bad , and keep up the maintainence
Hope this helps peter

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome to iboats!:D

Mike in CT

Cadet

a-ha ! i see......i was worried parts might be an issue.i've been looking on craigslist for a free " parts " boat for this. i see people giving away old boats all the time. hopefully i'll get lucky.:) i will take some more pics and post them..... thanks , i appreciate any info or advice on this boat - mike

pduquette

Ensign

Hi Mike ! just as a thought - before you get started in your parts swap check with the pro's over in the Motors I/O forum to figure out the best solution/swap for your combo . May save you from having a yard full of un-useable junk . peter

Mike in CT

Cadet

i will check out the i/o motor forum peter. i dont intend on collecting alot of parts, just thought if i could find a boat with exactly the same drivetrain, not running....... ? i see them alot. i browse all the f/s sites, ect... i might just find what i need