Newbie question: how do boating fees work at IN state parks?

ratdude747

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Idiot newbie question: how do fees work at Indiana state parks?
I know about the $25 a year DNR lake permit. But as a first time boater, I'm confused on the other fees.

I know there's entry to the park ($7 per vehicle per day, or $50 a year). But I also see annual boat slip fees ($60). Are these just for keeping a boat tied to the slip for a year (no trailering), or does the fee apply to those using the dock (or slip, if no dock available) for loading/unloading passengers too?

Reason I ask is that the two nearest places for me (Madison, IN) to boat are the Ohio river (5 minutes, no ramp or dock fees, but likely not good for learning things and testing a rehabbed boat) and Hardy Lake (30 minutes, lots of ex-coworkers boat there). Hardy lake has a ramp that doesn't require passing the park gate, but the parking is not so good and there is no dock other than a neighboring camp ground's slips.

Not quite ready to test the boat yet (still working an overheat issue in another thread, plus need to redo trailer wiring), but I'd like to get my ducks in a row so I know what passes/permits I need to buy.

ratdude747

Petty Officer 2nd Class
KY property line comes up to the shore line of IN, plus it's a Federal interstate water way therefore USCG has authority

IN has all kinds of fees and the link explains a few of them
https://www.in.gov/dnr/state-parks/rates-and-fees/boating-fees-and-lake-permits/

Understood on both. I have all the USCG/Federal-specific things safety wise.

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I'm still not sure if I need the slip permit if I'm not leaving the boat in the slip. But if there is no actual dock for boarding, then it is needed if I want to board passengers???

I may (reluctantly) reach out to the ex-coworkers who frequent there. Have to start somewhere.

briangcc

Commander
My line of thinking, and it may be totally wrong so confirm it, is that the slip fee is only if you are using one of their docks to leave the boat in the water for an extended period of time....not for simply launch/retrieve.

At least that's the way it works in NY state parks...fee to enter (for day use/launch/retrieve), separate fee for campers leaving their boats in the water. And usually that's on a first come, first serve basis.

ratdude747

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My line of thinking, and it may be totally wrong so confirm it, is that the slip fee is only if you are using one of their docks to leave the boat in the water for an extended period of time....not for simply launch/retrieve.

At least that's the way it works in NY state parks...fee to enter (for day use/launch/retrieve), separate fee for campers leaving their boats in the water. And usually that's on a first come, first serve basis.
What I'm thinking as well. But in IN, one can't assume logic. Heck, we once tried to legally redefine pi once:

Joking aside, I'll ask my local contacts to confirm.

ratdude747

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To answer the question, turns out I do still have boating coworkers... just need to pay admission and have the lake permit.

Not sure if season passes work, but that's a later problem. Beyond initial boat testing I don't know where I'll be boating (river, lake, both???).