Newbie question, first timer

YeahBuoy

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all
I just bought a 1989 bayliner capri 1750. It came standard equipped with a ski cleat on the transom.
Can I wakeboard too using this cleat? Why is a tower necessary?

Thanks in advance!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newbie question, first timer

You can absolutely wakeboard with it. The advantage of the tower is that the force is pulling more up, and you are less likely to get slack rope in the wawa. Welcome aboard!

YeahBuoy

Seaman Apprentice

You can absolutely wakeboard with it. The advantage of the tower is that the force is pulling more up, and you are less likely to get slack rope in the wawa. Welcome aboard!

Thank you for the quick reply!
So it isn't dangerous or anything to use the cleat instead of a tower right? And what do you mean "slack in the wawa" lol

QC

Supreme Mariner

If you make a turn on either a wakeboard or a waterski, and end up heading towards the boat some, there will be slack in the line. With it connected to the transom it is more likely that the slack will dip into the water (wawa). That can be bad. With the line attached to the tower, you have more time to correct the slack before it goes under simply because it is higher.

I have skied behind a transom mounted tow ring for 25 years and it is perfectly safe as long as the hardware mount is secure itself. I have also had a floor mounted "pylon" pull out, we were lucky no one was hurt. The point is that dangerous is in the mounting, not necessarily the location. This assume that no one EVER sits between the rope and the skier/boarder. That is never safe and you could argue that a transom mount lessens the chance of someone in the boat getting hurt from broken hardware.

YeahBuoy

Seaman Apprentice

If you make a turn on either a wakeboard or a waterski, and end up heading towards the boat some, there will be slack in the line. With it connected to the transom it is more likely that the slack will dip into the water (wawa). That can be bad. With the line attached to the tower, you have more time to correct the slack before it goes under simply because it is higher.

I have skied behind a transom mounted tow ring for 25 years and it is perfectly safe as long as the hardware mount is secure itself. I have also had a floor mounted "pylon" pull out, we were lucky no one was hurt. The point is that dangerous is in the mounting, not necessarily the location. This assume that no one EVER sits between the rope and the skier/boarder. That is never safe and you could argue that a transom mount lessens the chance of someone in the boat getting hurt from broken hardware.

I see, well first of all thanks for the info, this forum is truly a gem!
So why is the rope dipping into the water a bad thing? Because it can get caught in the sterndrive? Aren't all ski ropes designed to float?

Again thank you for all the help

QC

Supreme Mariner

Slack is bad period. When the slack comes out it yanks your arms. When it get's caught in the wash etc it pulls even weirder.

YeahBuoy

Seaman Apprentice

Slack is bad period. When the slack comes out it yanks your arms. When it get's caught in the wash etc it pulls even weirder.

Ohhh I see so it's about the wake boarder's experience and not yanking him around