NEWBIE Question -> DeWinterizing my AQ130D

Ghost21

Seaman Apprentice
After getting some expert info from people regarding my engine. I was happy to find out that I have a AQ130D with a 280 leg. Now before I bought the boat I was told it was parked and winterized this past end of September. Getting the engine/leg and Boat tuned up what steps should I take to get this thing going again.. I know it has a Dual Battery setup so any hints tips etc. are all welcome.... I'm just dieing to get on the water .. I will even be happy to hear this thing fire up.. Don't hold anything back..

PLEEEAASSE!!!!... :)

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: NEWBIE Question -> DeWinterizing my AQ130D

Your best bet is to start by looking at everything and get a good understand of how the components work. Look for oil leaks and fuel leaks and loose or corroded wires and fittings. Start searching the forum for information on your engine and outdrive. Reading up on those things will give you a head start and you'll have a better idea what others are talking about.

On the Volvo website, you'll find several brochures and manuals. The manual for the 130/280 combination talks about starting and runnng the engine as well as layup and restart after layup. There is a ton of good info and there.

This forum has a few stickies about the 270/280 drives and the bellows and u-joints. If you're not 110% sure about when the u-joints were lubed, bellows replaced, and the drive pressure tested, then it's to your advantage to undertake this vital maintenance procedure.

Once you do some research, come on back and start asking more questions. I'm not trying to blow you off, It's just that it's best for you to have a base knowledge of your engine and outdrive before you start turning wrenches.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: NEWBIE Question -> DeWinterizing my AQ130D

I just checked on the Volvo website to see if the old engine manuals and brochures were still there and they are. Google Volvo Penta and then click on the North America/US tab. Then go to gasoline, pleasure boat engines, and look for the engine database. Here's a link but they don't allways work: http://www.volvopenta.com/VOLVOPENTA/NA/EN-US/MARINE_LEISURE_ENGINES/OUT_OF_PRODUCTION_ENGINES/Pages/out_of_production_engines.aspx

That should get you a good starting point.

Remember that winterizing and de-winterizing can mean different things to different people. It's hard for anyone to tell you exactly what to do unless we know what was done in the first place. For a boat that's new to you, it's impossible to tell for sure about anything until you check it out.