Newbie Question 91 Sea Nymph SS175 Fish N Ski

Wookie69

Cadet
Well I just got the boat and the deck is shot, upon lifting up the carpet I found something that really made me laugh. I want to share it with you all so here it is, I this is my first time rebuilding a boat but when I lifted up the carpet I found tongue and groove cheap fake hardwood flooring laid over top of the rotten deck, and might I add they followed the instructions from the manufacturer and put a layer of of that foam underlayment.

So with that being said, I know I don't qualify for the StarCraft club.

My question so far is on the stern of my boat it has approximately 30" of aluminum sheathing that make the engine well and basically nothing else but wasted unreachable space that a person has to crawl on their belly under to just put a battery in this boat. Is this section actually structural to the boat? Can I remove it to get to the transom, and replace the area with custom desigh for the batteries and possible bait well?

Thank you in advance. I am loving the reading so far and I am sure I will have more questions going forward.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Newbie Question 91 Sea Nymph SS175 Fish N Ski

The Stringers and the transom should be the only structural parts of the boat in that area. I would cut the sheathing and put in a piano hinge for access. Don't forget to get us some pics of the custom flooring as we usually only see that kind of thing on larger Yachts.:D

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I think he is talking about the splashwell. If so, don't remove it.

Wookie69

Cadet

The hardwood fake flooring was swelled up like 7 day old roadkill, I removed it quickly before the neighbors could see it and laugh me out of the neighborhood. Yes I am talking about the splashwell, is it structural or can the area be customized with structural aluminum and fiberglass to create storage etc, I would also like to add flotation in the rear gunnel area.

Wookie69

Cadet

Help me out a little here the area is the splash well but it is incorporated all the way across the stern and approximately 30" forward. The access under this area is virtually impossible to get to. Need a better way to get to the bilge pump and the transom if it needs replacement. Is there any way I can remove and build a better solution in this area? Will get some pictures tomorrow for better illustration.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Wookie I would say pictures would help us alot in answering your question . I know the Splashwell on my Starcraft simply unscrews from the boat but not sure on yours.

Rick

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You gotta watch these Starcraft owners, they like to brag it up a bit sometimes. :D Pictures are the answer.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

We will start our own Sea-Nymph club, so far we have 2 members, only a couple hundred more and we can really give it to the Startcraft guys!

I have a '81 16'er that has been rebuilt and painted in the last 3 years.

On mine the livewell door was OSB, couldn't believe it.

My splash well is only about 12''x18'' so I am not sure what you are talking about but it shouldn't be strucural, if you get a floor in it it should be at least as strong.

I have the good fortune(until the last year and a half) to work for a boat company so coming into parts and marine ply isn't too hard and my boat has ALOT of vendor samples.

Have you hit the regular steel hex head screws they used on the floor yet, those were a real joy.

Alos check your foam, I lost about 400lbs by getting that out of there.

Get up some pics!

Heres mine, these are couple years old, should get new ones, I have gotten a new troller and redoen the front deck since I took these.

I made mine modular with the only fixxed seat being the drivers, the other seats you can move wherever you want.

Attachments

• P1010030.jpg
    P1010030.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
  • burn90.jpg
    burn90.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0

Wookie69

Cadet

Ok Here we go these are the pics before I started the exploring.

hull_bow.jpg

Bow.jpg

side1.jpg

inside1.jpg

inside2.jpg

More to come.

Wookie69

Cadet

Here is the stern so far. Notice the wasted spaces on each side. Would like to get rig of the shelf to. I need ideas guys, need to be able to service the bilge pump with some ease, due to me having 3 ruptured discs in my lower back crawling around on my belly doesn't work. Any and all ideas are welcome. Don't know of any 3d free programs to work up the area with different layouts.

72509_1.jpg

72509_2.jpg

72509_3.jpg

72509_4.jpg

72509_5.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Wookie thats a good lookin boat . I cant believe they would put wood stringers in an aluminum boat . The decks in most of our starcrafts are multiple pieces even in my 16'er so replacing the deck shouldnt be an issue .

I am going to request some more splashwell pictures from above and from the rear of the boat . Then we should be able to help you attack the issue .My Jupiter has fairly deep splashwell but the only thing unfder there is my gas tanks so its not a biggie to me .

Free online drawing program I think its 2D not 3D but it is usable googlesketchup.

Rick

Wookie69

Cadet

So today spent a little time on the boat mainly to get the pics requested and more exploring. My idea on the sides of the splashwell wont work due to those areas are full of flotation foam. So I am going to have to use those cubby holes for the batteries. I will take measurements to make sure I can get batteries in and out. So here are the pics of the stern.

6303.jpg

6304.jpg

Now for the exploration, after seeing a live well pump mounted in the bilge and a drain line I decided it was time to figure out where they went. Then I noticed in the bow area under the cushion a piece of plywood that looked to be just standard exterior grade and it did not fit very well. As you can see it here;

6302.jpg

Well I could not resist the temptation to pull it out, so out come the screws. Well after removing the last screw down on my knees in between the consoles, I lifted up the plywood and the next thing I know I am gagging and damn near loosing lunch over the side. After it aired out a little bit enough for me to see where this smell was coming from look what I found;

6305.jpg

6306.jpg

6307.jpg

Well I am just beside myself I had no idea they built these into the bow. I was under the impression that live well was removed from the stern due to it leaking and damaging the floor. They even still have the spray bars on both sides. No signs of holes in the bottoms or the side. Now to find riser tubes for them and make them functional again.

The next endeavor is going to be getting the consoles out. Anyone know how the windshield is attached on boats like this?

Enjoying the knowledge pool here you guys are phenomenal when it comes lending help. I am so glad I found this forum.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Wookie from where I am sitting it looks like that shelf and the side box covers are just screwed in place so they shouldnt be to hard to remove and removing the foam back there I dont think would be detrimental to the boat so you could get batteries back there .

Rick

Wookie69

Cadet

OK here is another question;

How in the world do I mount a swim ladder/platform on this boat? Not much room and the whole stern sides are enclosed and full of foam.