Newbie Places to boat in Upstate or Western NY no more than 3 1/2 hrs to Albany

Ann1874

Recruit
I recently bought my first boat and made a newbie mistake and bought the largest boat I could afford, a 26.8' Four Winns Cabin Cruiser. I took an on-water basic boating course and a close-quarter maneuvering and docking course before making a purchase, but I had very little time to learn this past summer because the boat needed some work. It spent most of this summer at the repair shop. I had a docking space on Saratoga Lake, NY at the Lee's Park campground that came with the boat for the summer of 2021 season, but the space is not available for 2022. I'm going to need to find a different lake to dock on for next summer. I would like to be on a lake/river with minimal current and/or tide where a Novice boater can learn on weekends without being too overcrowded. I need a lake where there are not a ton of shallows or unmarked shoals where I might be able to get an affordable and easy to maneuver docking space with shore power. Any recommendations?

matt167

Captain
Cayuga or Seneca lake. They are connected by the Seneca river and provide access to the canals.

briangcc

Commander
I'm pretty sure it was here where I camped with my then girlfriend (now wife):

I was there June/July a number of years back and I remember it not being too crowded. Times may have changed. It was deep enough for my 20' I/O. Not sure on your requirements but might want to check into it??

Otherwise, I can vouche for Seneca Lake being big enough for your boat. Nice marina and slips available - launched there several times. Might be a bit busy getting in/out during summer but in my experience you should be just fine.

Might also look into Oneida Lake. I have launched there once - happened to be during a bass tournament so I'm a bit jaded towards that experience. Lake itself is fine though...lots of bigger boats.