Newbie - outboard question

dh4winn79

Cadet
I have a Chrysler 559H9L outboard motor and was wondering if those motors had alternators on them.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Newbie - outboard question

The parts list calls them an alternator stator. The motor will charge your battery.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I don't know model numbers but these engines were made with various ignition systems. Some came with magneto ignition and would not charge the battery. others came with points and coils and an alternator and would charge the battery. Others were manufactured with electronic ignition and an alternator and again would charge the battery.

Euro knows numbers so your engine has an alternator. The center is wound with copper wire coils and since it is bolted to the engine, it does not move. Therefore it is called a STATOR. The field is the rotating magnet either cast into the flywheel or glued under the rim (depending upon whether you have old or newer style.

It is called an alternator because it produces AC voltage which is then changed to DC by the rectifier.

The major difference between it and an automobile alternator is that the auto one has the "stator" rotating and the field is stationary. The auto field is also copper wound instead of permanent magnets, and the voltage regulator controls the field strength and the alternator output. Most auto alternators have internal diodes to rectify the AC. They are much more efficient (and costly).

Your alternator is non-regulated, constant output (about 7 amps). It was designed to do little more than replace the charge taken out of the battery to start the engine. It will operate running lights and a low power radio/ CD player but not much else.

Todd Stencill

Recruit

Hi Everyone
I'm new to this forum.
I recently received my parents 1973 Chrysler boat and motor.
I'm excited about becoming a vintage boat owner but am a little over whelmed with the challanges that come with finding parts.
Where would I find a distributor cap for a 1973 130 hp motor (model # 1307BB).
I do appreciate any suggestion and look forward to further discussions with Chrysler boat owners.