Newbie on flooded ramp

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wanted to cringe when this happened.<br />On the a local river in Florida. <br />With the rain we have had lately the water was high, below the dam where we normally launch.<br />We were fishing from shore today. Figured the tourist traffic would be heavy.<br />What appeared to be a brand new 17' Bayliner showed up with 6 people.<br />Backed in no problem, nice and straight. Tried to drive off without unhooking winch cable.<br />Gets it off trailer by hand, floating in about 2 foot of water drops the motor and starts it and powers back up the concrete ramp. Probably a nice gouge in the ramp from the skeg and some digs in the hull but they did not get their feet wet when they loaded.<br />Realizes the water not deep enough, trims up and spins the hull around with a paddle. I guess if the bow is deep enough so is the rest of the hull. Nope not deep enough. Okay we start it at full up position and lower until it grabs some water. I did try to get is attention, I know this water real well and he was only about 6' away from a drop. Seemed okay though. Not sure how but it was peeing. We left right after that.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Newbie on flooded ramp

I often wonder how people like that 'make it'. You know they probably apply the same amount of forthought and planning with everything else they do.

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Newbie on flooded ramp

MG, I saw some people like the ones you discribed a couple of years age. They insisted on power loading(maybe thier winch was broken) and they came in so fast they missed the winch tower and hit the back of thier van. The boat landing was a couple of hundred feet from the beach I was swimming at. Fortunatly no one was hurt and minor damage done(old van, big dent).