Newbie on boat motors....

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for some help on a 1996 25 hp Evinrude thats not pumping water (model 1448EO). From what I have read many say its the water pump... locating the water pump is where my problem is. I own my own mechanic business so I am mechanically sound, but working on a diesel engine is a lot different than a boat:confused:!!! HELP please!!Thanks!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Newbie on boat motors....

Why not get an OEM shop manual?

There's also a general guide here under Top Secret Files.

MCMoffshore

Cadet

Replacing the water pump is difficult from the standpoint that you have to drop the lower unit and get it back on, but otherwise it was easy. I did mine by myself after watching a Youtube video and buying a water pump rebuild kit locally. Do a Google search with your engine specifics and "water pump replacement" and you'll be amazed how many people have already laid the groundwork for you in detail and watching a video really makes it much easier.

Good luck.

Oldyellow71

Seaman Apprentice

Youtube is a good idea! I recomend getting the manual too. It will help with many other little/or big things in the future. Since you are a mechanic you will be amazed at how easy it is once you do it once. I do mine at least every two years or sooner depending how much I use that motor, its cheaper than overheating a motor!

techwriter

Cadet

I am also in the engine business. All of them are stationary engines which in most cases are just boat engines driving generators. As you pointed out I also find a 3,000 HP Cat or Mitsu to be a little different than is one of my outboards.

As wilde1j pointed out the service manual in invaluable so get one. In the mean time to help you with your question. The pump is located in the lower part of the shaft housing. If it is not pumping then you cannot use the engine anyway. Get brave and disassemble the lower unit by removing the lower most bolts around the housing after you drain the lower unit oil. You will soon see how simple the whole setup really is. I assume that your motor is the exhaust "thru the hub" type as my 1993 25 HP is. If you do not have this type then it should still not be a problem to get into it.

We should back up to first things first. You say that it is not pumping water. Do you mean that your engine got hot, or maybe you do not have water squirting from the small hole that would indicate the pump is working. I have seen situations where the little hole has plugged when the pump is working fine. With the pump operating water should be coming from other openings in the lower unit. The test hole can usually be opened up with a tooth pick without any dis assembly. If your engine got hot you could simply have a stuck thermostat or what we normally call a regulator on a diesel. With your engine running while it is connected to a water hose you can see water coming from other holes and ports on the lower unit housing if the pump is working.

The pump is a normal wear item and repair kits as well as new pumps were available the last time that I bought one years ago. The kits or pumps are available as standard with plastic pump components and a heavier one with a chrome ring that the impeller runs in for more abrasive water conditions.

The first time that you take your boat on the down stream side directly below a sand bar that has water is flowing over it in a river. You quickly learn what abrasive means when your pump fails almost immediately.

Be certain that you replace the oil with the correct oil. Some or maybe all of the lower units have brass or bronze components. As you already know the wrong oil will dissolve the brass or bronze parts just as the wrong oil will dissolve the brass synchros in an automotive or truck transmission.

I think that you can probably find every thing that you need to accomplish most if not all repairs right here at iboats. I personally have never used any parts other then OEM parts from my local dealer. Being mechanical you will have no problem in doing any of this. If your pump is bad you will know that when you look at it.

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice

To answer your question techwriter, the motor ran fine when I first got it. The guy I bought the boat from used it for oystering and clamming and probably didnt run it hard. Regardless, when I bought it, it was running fine, a little hard to start (pull start), but fine when it was running. It was pumping water because I noticed water pissing out of two spots; one under the top? part of the motor, and one spot down on the lower? end. Well after about a month or so of running it every weekend, one day as I was getting on the throttle, it sputtered like it didnt want to go then it died. I had to anchor out and let it cool before it would start again. I have run it a couple of times since then and it always does the same thing, except this time when I brought it home and put the muffs on it it wouldnt ****. So knowing that it was getting hot and now its not pissing I expect the water pump is bad. Honestly I didnt know the difference between the upper and lower unit, nor did I know where the thermostat, water pump, etc. was. Through some internet investigation I have learned about these things and feel pretty confident that I can do the job and fix this motor, if my diagnosis is correct. Does it sound pretty accurate to you? Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help thus far!!

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can understand your dilemma here too, as I'm sorta the same way, pretty well versed in automotive stuff but not at all marine. Anyway, I think the water pump should be in the lower unit, and is driven by the driveshaft. The lower unit should have six bolts, 3 on each side. When you loosen those, the only thing holding the lower unit on should be the shifter tab. You'll need to put the shifter in either forward or reverse, and the lower unit should drop down. I can't remember which makes it come down. Anyway, that'll drop it down an inch or so, and you can get to the last remaining bolt holding the lower unit to the shifter tab. Once the tab is unbolted, the lower will come loose so be ready. Pull the lower off and you'll see the long driveshaft sticking out of the lower unit. The water pump is where the driveshaft runs into the lower unit. It should be held on by like 3-5 bolts. You'll pull the cover off and see the impeller, it looks like a star shape. If it's damaged, or even if it's not, it's a cheap replacement and easy peace of mind.

BTW, I only have experience on my little 9.9 Evinrude, but I think many small outboards are similar in their design. Hope this helps.

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice

Well I went and got my rebuild kit...wish me luck lol! Thanks to everyone for the advice and expertise, I'll let ya'll know how it turns out!